SHAWN IS A BUSINESS LITIGATOR WITH A PRACTICE FOCUSED ON COMPLEX CORPORATE AND COMMERCIAL LITIGATION AND APPEALS.
Shawn is the Head of Dorsey's Seattle Trial Group and has extensive experience with disputes concerning securities, fiduciary duties, fraud, contracts, corporate trusts, corporate control, health care, real estate, and banking, as well as with class actions and derivative matters. He also has substantial experience representing companies and individuals in internal investigations and regulatory enforcement matters, and frequently represents banks and broker-dealers in matters involving securities, banking, credit, and other financial services. He has recently been actively involved in multiple disputes concerning EB-5 financings. Shawn has been recognized as "Rising Star" in Business Litigation every year since 2010.
Shawn is also active in the community, and currently serves on the Board of Trustees of the King County Bar Association and as a Board member and former Board Chair of Kids Co. In addition, he is the pro bono coordinator for Dorsey's Seattle office and contributes significant time toward pro bono trial and appellate matters involving constitutional rights.
Education & Admissions
New York University School of Law (J.D., 2002), magna cum laude, Order of the Coif
Allen Scholar; Pomeroy Scholar; Dean's Scholar
New York University Law Review, Senior Notes Editor
Western Washington University (B.A., Philosophy, 1998), magna cum laude; Phi Kappa Phi
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Western and Eastern Districts of Washington
- U.S. District Court for the District of Oregon
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, Honorable Marjorie O. Rendell
- SEC v. Path America, LLC, et al, and Lobsang Dargey
Currently defending Dargey and related entities involving EB-5 related 10(b)(5) and 17(a) securities claims. (W.D. Washington, 2016)
- Chi Chen et al v. U.S. Bank National Association, Quartzburg Gold L.P., et al.
Currently defending U.S. Bank in two EB-5 related suits asserting securities and other claims. (USDC Utah, 2015)
- Norton v. U.S. Bank et al.
Currently defending bank against multi-million dollar direct and derivative claims for securities violations and breaches of fiduciary duty arising out of an alleged Ponzi scheme.
- SEC v. Fuhlendorf.
Represented former public company chief financial officer in his defense of a securities enforcement action involving 10b-5 and other claims, achieving a hung jury following a month-long jury trial and then a favorable settlement of all claims.
- B-Line Holdings, LLC et al. v. William S. Weinstein et al.
Represented leading bankruptcy debt purchaser and servicer in complex, multi-party litigation involving corporate control and breach of fiduciary duty, breach of contract, and legal malpractice claims, resulting in a settlement on favorable terms.
- U.S. Bank v. Eel River Investment Company et al.
Represented U.S. Bank in state securities litigation, resulting in substantial recoveries.
- CMN, Inc. dba Colliers International v. Colliers Property Consultants USA, Inc. et al.
Represented a major corporate shareholder in an expedited breach of fiduciary duty action against certain company directors in Delaware Chancery Court, resulting in a favorable corporate governance reorganization.
- McGrew v. Northwestern Trust, et al.
Represented U.S. Bank in its defense of a class action alleging state securities law and related tort and contract claims, resulting in a favorable settlement following summary judgment dismissal of the primary claims.
- In re Avista Corp. Securities Litigation
Represented Avista Corporation in its defense of a putative class action asserting federal securities fraud claims, resulting in a settlement on favorable terms.
- In re Wright Estate
Represented the executrix of an estate in opposition of a multimillion dollar claim involving issues of first impression, resulting in pre-trial dismissal that was affirmed on appeal.
Other Representative Litigation Experience
- Representation of a health care provider in a certificate of need dispute.
- Representation of an LLC manager in breach of fiduciary duty litigation.
- Representation of a financial services company in employment litigation.
- Representation of financial services companies in a variety of debt and credit related litigation matters.
- Representation of broker-dealers in non-compete disputes arising from broker departures and recruitment.
- Representation of a broker-dealer in FINRA enforcement inquiry.
- Representation of a biotechnology company in a confidential internal investigation and SEC disclosure.
- Representation of a national bank in a variety of banking and financial services matters.
- Representation of securities broker-dealers in numerous FINRA arbitration matters alleging securities claims.
- Representation of a global commercial real estate firm in a variety of contract and real estate matters.
- Representation of a national health care organization in complex commercial disputes.
- Representation of a commercial landlord in litigation with commercial tenant.
- Representation of real estate developers in a lending dispute.
- Representation of a member of a closely-held LLC in breach of fiduciary duty litigation arising from break-up of the business.
- Representation of a closely-held company and shareholder/directors in a breach of fiduciary duty action.
- Representation of a commercial real estate investor in a partnership dispute.
- Representation of an energy company in its assertion of securities fraud claims arising out of a tender offer dispute.
- Representation of a manufacturer in international arbitration proceedings relating to an intellectual property license.
- Representation of a securities broker-dealer in a significant internal investigation and government enforcement matter, and related class action litigation.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
- Panelist and Moderator, Mastering the Deposition (CLE), September 2014
- Panelist, Discovery and Admissibility of Electronically Stored Information (ESI), Washington Superior Court Judges' Spring Program, April 2014
- Moderator, Top 20 Tips for Successful Litigation, 2011 King County Bench Bar Conference, November 2011
- Moderator, Civil Practice Issues Update, 2010 King County Bench Bar Conference, November 2010
Industries & Practices
- Banking and Financial Institutions
- Class Action Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Consumer Financial Services
- Corporate Trust Services
- Electronic Discovery
- Government Enforcement & Corporate Investigations
- Health Care
- Health Litigation
- Mortgage Banking
- Pro Bono
- Securities & Financial Services Litigation & Enforcement
Professional & Civic
- King County Bar Association
- Trustee, Board of Trustees
- Past Co-Chair, Judiciary and Litigation Committee
- Washington State Bar Association
- Past Committee Member, Court Rules and Procedures Committee
- Past Chair, Electronically Stored Information (ESI) Subcommittee
- Board Member, Evergreen Children’s Association d/b/a Kids Co.
- Past Chair, Board of Directors
- Committee Member, Western in Puget Sound Committee