Shawn is a business litigator with a practice focused on complex litigation and appeals. He is the former Head of Dorsey's Seattle Trial Group and has extensive experience with disputes concerning securities, fiduciary duties, fraud, professional liability, contracts, corporate trusts, corporate control, and other related areas. He has represented clients in a variety of industries including banking, health care, real estate, and many others. He also has substantial experience representing companies and individuals in internal investigations and regulatory enforcement matters, and frequently represents banks and broker-dealers in matters involving securities, banking, credit, and other financial services. He has recently been involved in multiple disputes involving parties in China in U.S. litigation.
Shawn has been recognized as a leading litigation attorney in Washington by Chambers USA, Super Lawyers, and The Best Lawyers In America, among other industry honors.
Shawn is also active in the community. He previously served on the Board of Trustees of the King County Bar Association and currently serves as a Board member and former Board Chair of Kids Co., a childcare nonprofit. In addition, he is the longstanding pro bono coordinator for Dorsey's Seattle office and contributes significant time toward pro bono trial and appellate matters involving constitutional rights.
Education & Admissions
New York University School of Law (J.D., 2002), magna cum laude, Order of the Coif
- Allen Scholar; Pomeroy Scholar; Dean's Scholar
- New York University Law Review, Senior Notes Editor
Western Washington University (B.A., Philosophy, 1998), magna cum laude; Phi Kappa Phi
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Western and Eastern Districts of Washington
- U.S. District Court for the District of Oregon
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, Honorable Marjorie O. Rendell, 2002-2003
- Kusada et al. v. Niu et al.
Represented defendant in multi-plaintiff, multi-million dollar litigation matter alleging fraud arising from business activities in China, successfully resulting in dismissal of all claims on summary judgment.
- Chi Chen et al v. Quartzburg Gold L.P., et al.
Defended national bank acting as escrow agent in multiple litigation matters relating to EB-5 offering.
- SEC v. Path America, LLC, et al, and Lobsang Dargey
Defended Lobsang Dargey in SEC enforcement action involving EB-5-related 10(b)(5) and 17(a) securities claims, resulting in negotiated resolution.
- Norton v. U.S. Bank et al.
Defended bank against multi-million dollar direct and derivative claims for securities violations and breaches of fiduciary duty arising out of an alleged Ponzi scheme, successfully resulting in dismissal of all claims on summary judgment.
- SEC v. Fuhlendorf.
Represented former public company chief financial officer in his defense of a securities enforcement action involving 10b-5 and other claims, achieving a hung jury following a month-long jury trial and then a favorable settlement of all claims.
- B-Line Holdings, LLC et al. v. William S. Weinstein et al.
Represented leading bankruptcy debt purchaser and servicer in complex, multi-party litigation involving corporate control and breach of fiduciary duty, breach of contract, and legal malpractice claims, resulting in a settlement on favorable terms.
- U.S. Bank v. Eel River Investment Company et al.
Represented U.S. Bank in state securities litigation, resulting in substantial recoveries.
- CMN, Inc. dba Colliers International v. Colliers Property Consultants USA, Inc. et al.
Represented a major corporate shareholder in an expedited breach of fiduciary duty action against certain company directors in Delaware Chancery Court, resulting in a favorable corporate governance reorganization.
- McGrew v. Northwestern Trust, et al.
Represented U.S. Bank in its defense of a class action alleging state securities law and related tort and contract claims, resulting in a favorable settlement following summary judgment dismissal of the primary claims.
- In re Avista Corp. Securities Litigation
Represented Avista Corporation in its defense of a putative class action asserting federal securities fraud claims, resulting in a settlement on favorable terms.
- In re Wright Estate
Represented the executrix of an estate in opposition of a multimillion dollar claim involving issues of first impression, resulting in pre-trial dismissal that was affirmed on appeal.
Other Representative Litigation Experience
- Representation of a health care provider in a certificate of need dispute.
- Representation of an LLC manager in breach of fiduciary duty litigation.
- Representation of a financial services company in employment litigation.
- Representation of financial services companies in a variety of debt and credit related litigation matters.
- Representation of broker-dealers in non-compete disputes arising from broker departures and recruitment.
- Representation of a broker-dealer in FINRA enforcement inquiry.
- Representation of a biotechnology company in a confidential internal investigation and SEC disclosure.
- Representation of a national bank in a variety of banking and financial services matters.
- Representation of securities broker-dealers in numerous FINRA arbitration matters alleging securities claims.
- Representation of a global commercial real estate firm in a variety of contract and real estate matters.
- Representation of a national health care organization in complex commercial disputes.
- Representation of a commercial landlord in litigation with commercial tenant.
- Representation of real estate developers in a lending dispute.
- Representation of a member of a closely-held LLC in breach of fiduciary duty litigation arising from break-up of the business.
- Representation of a closely-held company and shareholder/directors in a breach of fiduciary duty action.
- Representation of a commercial real estate investor in a partnership dispute.
- Representation of an energy company in its assertion of securities fraud claims arising out of a tender offer dispute.
- Representation of a manufacturer in international arbitration proceedings relating to an intellectual property license.
- Representation of a securities broker-dealer in a significant internal investigation and government enforcement matter, and related class action litigation.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
- Panelist and Moderator, Mastering the Deposition (CLE), Deposition Witness Preparation, June 2016 & September 2014
- Panelist, Discovery and Admissibility of Electronically Stored Information (ESI), Washington Superior Court Judges' Spring Program, April 2014
- Moderator, Top 20 Tips for Successful Litigation, 2011 King County Bench Bar Conference, November 2011
- Moderator, Civil Practice Issues Update, 2010 King County Bench Bar Conference, November 2010
Industries & Practices
- Banking & Financial Institutions
- Class Action Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Consumer Financial Services
- Corporate Trust Services
- Electronic Discovery
- Government Solutions & Investigations
- Healthcare & Life Sciences
- Healthcare Litigation
- Mortgage Banking
- Pro Bono
- Securities & Financial Services Litigation & Enforcement
Professional & Civic
- King County Bar Association
- Past Trustee, Board of Trustees
- Past Co-Chair, Judiciary and Litigation Committee
- Current and Past Member of Multiple KCBA Committees
- Washington State Bar Association
- Past Committee Member, Court Rules and Procedures Committee
- Past Chair, Electronically Stored Information (ESI) Subcommittee
- Board Member, Evergreen Children’s Association d/b/a Kids Co.
- Past Chair, Board of Directors
- Named one of “America’s Leading Business Lawyers” by Chambers USA (Litigation: General Commercial), 2023
- Recognized in Best Lawyers in America©, Litigation - Banking and Finance, 2024
- Listed in Washington Super Lawyers, 2020-2022
- Contributed more than 50 Challenge pro bono hours, 2020-2021
- Recognized as one of Benchmark Litigation's Under 40 Hot List, 2016-2017
- Listed as a “Rising Star” by Washington Super Lawyers, 2010-2017
- Recognized as a “40 Under 40” honoree by the Puget Sound Business Journal, 2015