JOHN SERVES PUBLIC AND PRIVATE CLIENTS ON MUNICIPAL FINANCINGS, COMPLEX LOCAL GOVERNMENT MATTERS AND ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT TRANSACTIONS. HE BELIEVES THAT INNOVATION, EXCELLENCE AND TEAMWORK ARE CRITICAL TO ACHIEVING THE BEST OUTCOMES.
Since 2002 John has helped cities, counties, special districts and private entities meet their goals through tax exempt and taxable municipal bond issues, private debt placements, lease purchase financings and other debt arrangements. John guides clients through state, federal tax law and federal securities law compliance issues.
In addition, John has extensive experience in structuring economic development transactions involving tax increment financing, tax abatement and other local government support.
John is a frequent presenter at local government conventions, legal seminars and public finance meetings on topics related to tax increment financing, economic development, municipal debt and complex local government issues.
John serves as bond counsel and economic development counsel for several hundred cities and counties across Iowa.
In the arena of municipal debt, he has assisted issuer clients with refinancings, infrastructure development, facilities financings and cash flow needs through:
- Rated and unrated offerings to the municipal bond market through public sales and negotiated underwritings
- Tax exempt and taxable debt issues
- Negotiated private bank placements
- Government lending program placements through the Iowa SRF and USDA Rural Development programs
- General obligation debt issues
- Water, sewer, gas, electric and telecommunications utility revenue debt issues
- Tax increment financing secured debt issues
- Local option tax secured debt issues
In the arena of economic development, he assists public and private clients with:
- Structuring and establishment of urban renewal, urban revitalization areas and other special incentive districts
- Structuring grant, loan and forgivable loan programs
- Negotiated tax increment financing contracts for commercial, industrial and housing development/redevelopment projects
- Structuring local government incentive programs for business development through tax increment financing, tax abatement and infrastructure assistance
- Main street redevelopment incentive programs
On related matters, John advises municipal clients on complex municipal matters, including:
- Special assessments
- Public construction contracting
- Public real estate disposition
- Negotiated public/private contracts, including infrastructure development, take or pay arrangements and PILOT payment arrangements
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
Events & Speaking Engagements
- John is a published contributor to the Iowa League of Cities’ CITYSCAPE Magazine and the Iowa State Association of Counties’ IOWA COUNTY Magazine on topics of economic development, tax increment financing and municipal borrowing.
- John is a regular presenter at the Iowa League of Cities annual conference, the Iowa Municipal Clerk’s Institute/Academy, the Iowa Municipal Finance Officers Association Convention and other continuing legal education seminars on topics related to on topics of economic development, tax increment financing, municipal debt issues and other complex municipal law topics.
Industries & Practices
- Banking & Financial Institutions
- Development & Infrastructure
- Energy & Natural Resources
- Public Finance
- Public-Private Partnerships