The North America section of the Digest discusses recent FCPA settlements, including:
- Petrobras’ $1.78 billion settlement with the SEC and DOJ, along with a number of other noteworthy resolutions;
- Two recent declinations by the SEC and one by the DOJ.
In the Europe section of the Digest you’ll find discussion regarding a number of topics, including:
- The landmark U.K. case confirming the right to withhold documents based on legal privilege in fraud cases; and
- ING’s €775 million settlement with Dutch officials over compliance issues which had permitted companies to launder millions of euros over a six year period.
The Digest also looks at recent developments in Asia and the Middle East. These stories include:
- Saudi Arabia’s abolishment of its statute of limitations for corruption cases; and
- The efforts of prosecutors to obtain the maximum sentence for former South Korean president Lee Myung-bak, charged with abuse of power, embezzlement, and accepting bribes.
Sections on Latin America and Africa discuss unfolding events which include:
- Former Argentine President Cristina Fernandez indicted on charges that her administration accepted bribes; and
- South Africa’s investigation into whether German software company SAP paid a $2 million kickback in order to win a contract with the government.
We hope you find this information useful. To view this issue, click here.
Corruption issues are also addressed on the Computer Fraud website at http://computerfraud.us/ and SEC Actions blog at www.secactions.com. To subscribe to future editions of the Anti-Corruption Digest, click here.