The North America section of the Digest discusses recent FCPA settlements and related developments, including:
- The SocGen and Legg Mason settlements with the DOJ over bribes paid to win investment advisory work with Libyan State Authorities; and
- An Aruban official’s three year prison sentence after pleading guilty to money laundering conspiracy for accepting bribes.
- The SFO commencement of criminal proceedings against Unaoil; and
- The Spanish Prime Minister’s ouster from office.
- The wife of the Israeli Prime Minister was charged with fraud and breach of trust;
- ZTE allegedly bribed the Papua New Guinea Prime Minister to secure a service contract in that country; and
- Malaysia arrested more individuals in relation to the 1MDB scandal.
- Former president of El Salvador, Mauricio Funes, was arrested on charges of using public funds for personal expenses; and
- South Africa’s largest fund manager, Public Investment Corporation, has been implicated in a growing corruption scandal.
We hope you find this information useful. To view this issue, click here.
Corruption issues are also addressed on the Computer Fraud website at http://computerfraud.us/ and SEC Actions blog at www.secactions.com. To subscribe to future editions of the Anti-Corruption Digest, click here.