Jason B. McCammon
Jason’s practice focuses on all aspects of patent strategy and client counseling in a wide variety of technological areas, including medical devices, solar and green power technologies, and mechanical devices.
Jason has extensive experience in both U.S. and foreign patent preparation and prosecution. He focuses on compact prosecution, using in-person and telephonic interviews with examiners at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, pre-appeal conferences, and full appeals before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board to efficiently advance prosecution. His experience before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board includes drafting complex briefs as well as representing his clients during oral hearings. In addition to utility patents, Jason has filed and prosecuted a large number of design patents in the U.S. and coordinated design protection strategies overseas.
Jason also has substantial experience analyzing and drafting written opinions regarding freedom to operate, patentability, validity and infringement. He has conducted detailed due diligence analyses of patent portfolios covering a wide range of technologies in connection with acquisitions and other transactions, stock offerings, and client counseling regarding strategic business decisions.
Education & Admissions
Harvard Law School (J.D., 2009)
Brigham Young University (B.S., Mechanical Engineering, 2006), magna cum laude
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, N. Randy Smith, 2009-2010
- Jason directly manages and oversees all aspects of patent prosecution for a global patent portfolio covering products representing over $500 million per year in revenue.
- He develops protection strategies, including claim strategies, for highly complex medical devices based on innovations in materials, device structures, methods of use, and the integration of multiple components in innovative systems.
- Jason played a lead role in formulating a strategy for, and conducting, IP due diligence for an acquisition valued at ~$100 million.
- He analyzed all IP aspects of multiple competing products to guide a solar power client in identifying companies with which to form strategic partnerships.
- Jason worked on a small team to draft and file petitions for Inter Partes review for multiple patents asserted against his client, leading to a court granted stay in the underlying patent litigation and a favorable settlement for his client.
- Jason has successfully defended patents during Ex Parte Reexam proceedings.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
Industries & Practices
Energy & Natural ResourcesExplore This Practice View client achievements related to this practice View resources related to this practice
Healthcare & Life SciencesExplore This Practice View client achievements related to this practice View resources related to this practice
Intellectual Property LitigationExplore This Practice View client achievements related to this practice View resources related to this practice
Patent Prosecution, Portfolio Strategy & ManagementExplore This Practice View client achievements related to this practice View resources related to this practice
- Energy & Natural Resources
- Healthcare & Life Sciences
- Intellectual Property
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Patent Prosecution, Portfolio Strategy & Management
- Trademark & Copyright
- Listed among Rising Stars (Intellectual Property), Mountain States Super Lawyers®, 2017–2019
- Included in Utah Business Legal Elite (Intellectual Property), 2021
- Included in Utah Business Legal Elite – Up & Coming, 2017–2018
- Member of the David K. Winder IP Inn of Court
- Member of the IP Section of the Utah Bar
- Member of the CLE Planning Committee for the IP Section of the Utah Bar