Nate’s experience spans a wide range of industries, and focuses on the health care field (including medical malpractice defense, government investigations, antitrust, and business disputes), construction litigation, and the financial services industry. He has practiced in state and federal courts at both trial and appellate levels. Nate also has extensive experience in arbitral forums, including AAA.
Nate also represents clients in complex tax litigation. He has litigated multimillion-dollar tax cases against the Internal Revenue Service.
For his clients, Nate has obtained dismissal of claims on the pleadings, managed all aspects of complex discovery, obtained dismissal at summary judgment, prevailed in jury trials, and successfully prosecuted appeals in state and federal appeal courts.
Nate also maintains a healthy pro bono practice by representing low income plaintiffs in conciliation court appeals.
Education & Admissions
University of Minnesota Law School (J.D., 2013), magna cum laude; Order of the Coif; Note and Comment Editor, Volume 97, Minnesota Law Review
Gustavus Adolphus College (B.A., 2009), summa cum laude
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the District of North Dakota
- U.S. Tax Court
- Minnesota Supreme Court, Honorable David L. Lillehaug, 2013-2014
- Numerous Plaintiffs v. Mayo Clinic: Defending Mayo Clinic against allegations of medical malpractice through successful dispositive motions and jury trial verdicts.
- Numerous Plaintiffs v. Allina Health System: Representing healthcare system against allegations of medical malpractice.
- ManorCare v. Trinity Hospital: Defending hospital against contractual and malpractice allegations based on Hepatitis C outbreak.
- Bay Side Recycling et al. v. SKB Environmental et al. (Henn. Co. Dist. Ct., MN): Trial counsel for solid waste disposal company in 3 ½ week jury trial; jury verdict for defendants on all claims in May 2018.
- Insight Equity, A.P. X, LP v. Transitions Optical, Inc. (D. Del.): counsel for corrective lens manufacturer alleging monopolization claims; case settled shortly before trial. Insight Equity A.P. X, LP d/b/a Vision-Ease Lens Worldwide v. Transitions Optical, Inc., 2016 WL 3610155 (D. Del. Jul. 1, 2016) (prevailing on summary judgment motion); 2017 WL 1900738 (D. Del. May 9, 2017) (prevailing on Daubert motion).
- Frank E. Vennes, Jr. & Kimberly Vennes v. Commissioner of Internal Revenue, Dkt. No. 23860-17 (U.S. Tax Court): Trial counsel for petitioners in two-week trial in United States Tax Court regarding $100 million theft loss deduction sustained as result of the Tom Petters Ponzi scheme.
- Represented a medical device company against a securities fraud putative class action resulting in the dismissal of all remaining claims on summary judgment.
- Represented tribal business entity in state consumer class action involving allegations of improper lending practices.
- Represented national bank in nationwide class action in federal court involving claims relating to lender-placed flood insurance.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
- Note, It Can Do More Than Protect Your Credit Score: Regulating Social Media Pre-Employment Screening with the Fair Credit Reporting Act, 97 Minn. L. Rev. 306 (2012), available here.
- Justice David L. Lillehaug & Nathan J. Ebnet, A Fresh Look at the Problem of Unpublished Opinions, Bench & Bar of Minnesota (Dec. 2016).
Industries & Practices
- Antitrust & Competition Law
- Commercial Litigation
- Energy & Natural Resources
- Food, Beverage & Agribusiness
- Healthcare Litigation
- Securities & Financial Services Litigation & Enforcement