There is a simple formula for our success: hire outstanding people, develop their potential and support their careers in delivering superb client service. For over 100 years, we’ve used that formula to create an exceptional firm focused on success – for our clients and for everyone who works here.
Read about law student opportunities in the navigation to the left.
We are no longer accepting 2L applications for the 2018 Summer Associate Program. We will begin accepting applications from first-year students on December 1, 2017.
U.S. Summer Associate Program
Dorsey is one of the largest law firms in the United States with approximately 550 attorneys firm-wide. Dorsey has offices across the United States and in Canada, Europe and Asia. The Firm’s largest office is in Minneapolis.
For the 2018 Summer Associate Program, we will host law students who demonstrate strong interpersonal skills, intelligence, ambition, maturity, and an interest in Dorsey for the Dallas, Denver, Minneapolis, Salt Lake City, and Seattle offices.
Click on the links for more information about each of these great summer programs.
|Salt Lake City||Seattle|
Dorsey’s lawyers exemplify the Firm’s commitment to colleagues, clients, and community. Our lawyers’ vibrant personal and professional lives are enhanced by Dorsey’s cutting edge parental leave and flexible workplace policies. Dorsey’s lawyers and staff work to provide clients a competitive advantage with superb legal skills, practical wisdom and a deep understanding of their business and industry.
- Dorsey is a proud charter signatory of the American Bar Association’s Law Firm Pro Bono Challenge. Dorsey has met the ABA’s Pro Bono Challenge every year since its inception in 1993 by contributing at least 3% of the Firm’s total billable hours to pro bono work.
- Each summer Dorsey’s summer associates work on challenging and inspiring pro bono projects.
- Up to 50 hours of pro bono work count towards an associate’s hours requirement, and an additional 100 hours of pro bono work count towards an associate’s bonus consideration.
- In 2016 we provided over 35,222 hours of pro bono legal services to low income individuals and nonprofit organizations.
- In 2016, 100% of Dorsey’s associates participated in the pro bono program!
- Dorsey U, the Firm’s in house professional development department, facilitates over 600 hours of internal training annually.
- In their first year at the Firm, new associates at Dorsey attend two New Lawyer Training sessions specifically designed for those new to the Firm or to the legal practice. These sessions bring together new attorneys from across Dorsey’s 20 offices to learn about the Firm as a whole as well as their individual practice areas.
- Dorsey U programs are taught by our own lawyers and the best outside instructors. We train in our state-of-the-art conference room facilities with technology links to all offices. Programs are digitally recorded, providing a ready archive of just-in-time training.
- Dorsey & Whitney LLP is an Accredited Continuing Legal Education Provider in New York and California. Eligible programs are also regularly accredited in Minnesota, Iowa, North Dakota, Washington, and certain other states where Dorsey has offices. To supplement Dorsey U CLE Training, we encourage our lawyers to attend and teach at the best external CLE programs, both locally and nationally, through tuition and travel reimbursement.
London Trainee Solicitor Program
We are no longer accepting applications for 2017 training contracts. Applications for 2018/2019 training contracts will be accepted from 1 May 2017 to 31 July 2017. Please send a covering letter and CV to Michael Cashman (cashman.michael dorsey.com), the Training Supervisor.
Dorsey hires new associates directly from law school and following judicial clerkships. Most of our new associates are hired through our summer associate program, but we welcome applications from interested third-year law students or judicial clerks. The firm offers year-for-year credit (up to two years) for federal or highest state court clerkships; credit for other clerkships is determined on a case-by-case basis.
connect with dorsey
find a dorsey lawyer who went to your school