JIM IS A VETERAN TRIAL LAWYER WHO UNDERSTANDS THE BUSINESS OF HIS FINANCIAL SERVICE PROVIDER AND PUBLIC COMPANY CLIENTS. HE HELPS THEM RESOLVE DIFFICULT DISPUTES WITH SHAREHOLDERS, REGULATORS AND COMPETITORS BY USING CREATIVE, COST-EFFECTIVE STRATEGIES AND, WHEN NECESSARY, TAKING CASES TO TRIAL AND WINNING.
Jim has more than 30 years of experience representing public companies, banks, mortgage lenders, insurance companies, investment banks, and broker-dealers in litigated disputes in federal and state courts as well as before regulatory agencies, particularly the SEC. Jim is a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers and has extensive first-chair trial experience in federal and state courts, as well as in arbitration forums (including FINRA, AAA and UNCITRAL) and before regulatory agencies.
Jim is co-Head of the Class Action Practice Group. His practice focuses on all aspects of financial services litigation, including class actions, shareholder derivative actions, claims related to mortgage-backed securities, securities arbitrations (customer and intra-industry), tender offer defense and regulatory investigations and enforcement actions.
Education & Admissions
Northwestern University (B.A., English, 1979)
Columbia Law School (J.D., 1984), Stone Scholar Articles Editor, Columbia Journal of Law and Social Problems, 1983-1984
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
- U.S. Courts of Appeal for the Fifth, Sixth, Eighth and Ninth Circuits
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, Judge Charles Metzner, 1984-1985
- In Re St. Jude Medical, Inc. Represented publicly held medical device manufacturer in securities fraud class action.
- Baker v. NavSeeker. Represented two U.K. companies named as aiders and abettors in Chancery Court breach of fiduciary duty shareholder derivative claim against Delaware affiliate.
- Allstate v. Residential Funding. Represented multiple entities and individuals accused of fraud in connection with issuance and sale of residential mortgage-backed securities.
- In re Taxable Municipal Bonds Securities Litigation. Represented issuer of defaulted municipal bonds in multi-billion dollar consolidated securities fraud class actions.
- In Re Mortgage Lenders Network. Represented warehouse lender and secondary market purchaser in numerous proceedings related to failed national mortgage company.
- In Re Oppenheimer Funds. Represented special litigation committees of two fixed income funds in investigation of alleged shareholder derivative claims arising from 2008 financial markets collapse.
- Numerous investigative and enforcement proceedings before the SEC and state agencies.
- Falkowski v. Imation Corp. Represented publicly held issuer of options in securities fraud case in which Ninth Circuit adopted broad construction of SLUSA.
- Staro Asset Management LLC, et al. v. Richards. Represented officer and director of consumer sales company in federal securities fraud action brought by hedge fund.
- In re Midwest Life. Represented broker-dealer in multi-state actions brought by state guaranty associations, individuals and liquidator of estate arising from sale of annuities issued by former insurance company affiliate.
- Defense of numerous class actions on behalf of mortgage lenders and servicers regarding closing fees, escrow charges and alleged predatory lending practices.
- Coleman v. Franken. Represented candidate in U.S. Senate 2008 election contest proceedings.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
Events & Speaking Engagements
- Jim is a frequent CLE lecturer on topics ranging from Class Actions to Legal Writing.
Industries & Practices
- Banking & Financial Institutions
- Class Action Litigation
- Consumer Financial Services
- Electronic Discovery
- Energy & Natural Resources
- Food, Beverage & Agribusiness
- Government Enforcement & Corporate Investigations
- Insurance Law
- International Arbitration & Litigation
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Mortgage Banking
- Oil & Gas
- Products Liability
- Securities & Financial Services Litigation & Enforcement
- Named one of "America's Leading Business Lawyers" by Chambers USA (Litigation: General Commercial), 2017-2018
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- Rated AV Preeminent® by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Recognized as a "Local Litigation Star – Minnesota" by Benchmark Litigation, 2015-2018
- Listed as a Minnesota Super Lawyer, 2008
- MSBA North Star Lawyer, 2017