MIKE SERVES A BROAD ARRAY OF HEALTH CARE CLIENTS AS THEY PURSUE OPPORTUNITIES AND GUARD AGAINST RISK.
Mike works to get to know client needs and their businesses so that he can help them assess legal risk and business opportunities in a practical way. Mike works hard to distill the legal requirements related to a situation into business choices that allow his clients to act. Mike primarily advises health care provider and supplier clients including health systems, physician group practices, senior services providers, behavioral health providers, durable medical equipment suppliers, home health providers, and home and community-based service providers.
Mike grew up in Waterloo, Iowa and graduated from Grinnell College with a BA in Art History. Prior to attending law school, he worked for over ten years at The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York where he helped lead projects that improved the business operations of the museum through the use of information technology.
Education & Admissions
University of Iowa College of Law (J.D., with Distinction, 2013), Donald P. Lay Faculty Recognition Award for Distinctive Contributions to the College of Law Community; Boyd Service Award – Highest Honors; Dean’s Award for Academic Excellence; Faculty Award for Academic Excellence
Grinnell College (B.A., Art History, 1998)
- Lead buyer-side counsel for private equity acquisition of multi-office mental health therapy practice in Iowa
- Prepared, negotiated, and settled federal Anti-Kickback Statute and False Claims Act self-disclosure with US Attorney’s Office for the Northern District of Iowa
- Represent buyers and sellers of small to medium sized dental practices
- Complete investigations, patient notices, and breach notifications related to HIPAA security breaches
- Advise healthcare clients on working through monitoring and investigations from disability rights organizations/protection and advocacy groups
- Work with Iowa-licensed professionals (physicians, nurses, dentists) to achieve positive outcomes in board disciplinary matters
- Served as local Iowa counsel for merger of publicly-traded regional gaming corporations
- Shepherded Iowa sports wagering applications through regulatory process resulting in first to market success for Iowa casino operators
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
- “Navigating the Big Deals: Insight and Perspective From the Inside and Outside,” Iowa Society of Healthcare Attorneys, May 18, 2023.
- "Introduction to Dental Employment Contracts and Practice Buy-In Agreements", The University of Iowa College of Dentistry, December 3, 2021.
Industries & Practices
- Cybersecurity, Privacy & Social Media
- Digital Health
- Healthcare & Life Sciences
- Healthcare Transactions & Regulations