Businesses turn to Dorsey to develop and protect key assets that help distinguish them from the competition: their identities, trademarks and reputations. We help companies select, protect and enforce trademarks, copyrights and domain names. The intellectual property arena presents a complicated maze. Dorsey understands the business and technical forces that impact success. To safeguard vital business interests, maximize revenue streams, and protect competitive advantages, companies rely on Dorsey to:
- Develop brand identity strategies
- Conduct IP audits
- Manage domestic and international trademark portfolios
Recent Recognitions and Awards
- In 2013, Managing Intellectual Property Handbook ranked Dorsey as Tier 1 (“highly recommended”) for its Intellectual Property practices in Colorado, Minnesota and Washington, and ten Dorsey partners representing six of Dorsey’s U.S. offices were recognized individually as “IP Stars.”
- In 2013, World Trademark Review ranked Dorsey among the top 25 trademark law firms in the United States, and recognized six Dorsey partners representing three of Dorsey’s U.S. offices in the annual World Trademark Review 1000 – The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals publication.
- Dorsey was ranked No. 16 nationally among the Top 100 Trademark Law Firms for the number of U.S. trademark applications filed at year-end 2012 by LegalForce/Trademarkia, Inc.
- Dorsey was distinguished as one of the top 25 trademark firms in the nation, ranking No. 9 in 2012 for the number of trademark registrations issued in 2011 by Intellectual Property Today.
- In 2011, Dorsey was named one of the top filers of TTAB oppositions by TowerGate Software, Inc.
Leverage IP Assets
The Trademark, Copyright and Brand Management practice group works extensively with clients to strategically position technologies, trademarks or copyrighted products through licensing programs that complement and expand core business operations. Dorsey’s experience in technology transfer, advertising, sweepstakes, promotions and celebrity endorsement agreements provides relevant expertise needed to compete and win in today's global and electronic economy.
Working with transactional colleagues, we evaluate the intellectual property portfolios of potential targets, conduct due diligence reviews, and negotiate the trademark and copyright provisions related to corporate deals and financing
Protect Online IP
The Trademark, Copyright, Advertising and Brand Management practice group assists clients with registering, renewing and transferring ownership of Internet domain names. Through negotiation, the Uniform Dispute Resolution Policy, and court litigation, we recover clients’ domain names from infringers and cybersquatters.
Defend IP assets
Effective IP protection can require decisive offensive or defensive action. When it’s time to enforce IP assets, Dorsey litigators combine technical IP law proficiency with courtroom experience. Our team is experienced in seeking and opposing temporary restraining orders and injunctions which, in many disputes, is where the battle is won or lost. To contain litigation’s cost and uncertainty, and to meet its intense time pressures, Dorsey relies on a sophisticated case-management infrastructure that includes advanced support systems and experienced staff.
Dorsey represent clients in opposition and cancellation proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board and the courts in disputes concerning rights of publicity and privacy, trademark infringement and dilution, unfair competition, trade dress protection, false advertising and copyright infringement.
Partner with Dorsey
Putting the legal side of your business in Dorsey hands creates a unique partnership integral in optimizing intellectual property. The collaboration continues after the original work is done. As part of our commitment to service, we work with you to ensure your IP strategy evolves with your business. We are your resource for legal developments that impact your business. We follow through. We follow up.
To learn more, contact