A dedicated team of skilled Dorsey lawyers from key practices throughout the firm has extensive experience representing clients throughout Latin America and the Iberian Peninsula. Our experience involves almost every country in these regions and spans the breadth of M&A, corporate finance, international arbitration and litigation, trade and intellectual property.
We serve a diverse client base, from emerging companies establishing distribution channels, to multinationals engaging in strategic transactions, to international consortia financing multi-billion dollar infrastructure, energy and communication projects.
We have a leading international arbitration and litigation team. We defend clients having claims asserted against them in Latin America and the Iberian Peninsula, as well as foreign sovereigns and other entities in suits in the United States. Our international arbitration team represents foreign sovereigns and private business entities in international commercial and investment treaty arbitration, having appeared before the ICC, LCIA, ICSID, AAA-ICDR, PAC and other arbitral tribunals. We also have the capability to handle international arbitrations entirely in Spanish.
Our lawyers’ collective experience is the result of years of assisting clients in Latin America and the Iberian Peninsula, visiting these regions and establishing close relationships with local business people, government leaders and counsel. Our lawyers are also active as officers and members of regional organizations, such as the Spain-U.S. Chamber of Commerce and the U.S.-Mexico Chamber of Commerce.
- Represented one of the world’s leading producers and marketers of phosphate and potash crop nutrients in its acquisition of a fertilizer distribution business in Brazil and Paraguay
- Represented a U.S.-based NYSE-listed company in the asset purchase of a leading global supplier of high-performance components for critical applications for commercial aerospace, defense and industrial customers, with Mexico, U.S. and U.K. manufacturing facilities
- Advised a U.S.-based private packaging solutions company in its sale to an international provider of diversified consumer packaging, including facilities in Mexico
- Counsel to a Minnesota-based Fortune 500 food company in the formation of a joint venture with a Mexico-based manufacturer and marketer of consumer-branded food and beverages in Mexico and the U.S.
- Represented a Mexican company that is one of the largest IT services and systems integration providers in Latin America in the purchase of a technology products and services company, located in Mexico, from a private equity fund
- Negotiated an agreement with a Spanish mobile telephone company to enable our client to begin marketing its wireless value-added services in Spain
- Prepared a commercial agency agreement for appointment of a local agent to market computer-based learning products in Spain
- Represented a U.S. manufacturer of grain handling systems in connection with the organization of its Argentine sales effort
- Represented shareholders of a Mexican petrochemical group in connection with the redeployment of various non-Mexican holdings in the U.S., Canada, Europe and Latin America
- Acted as regional general counsel to a Spanish bank in connection with its correspondent relationships with commercial banks throughout Latin America
- Advised on a joint venture to market an automated refueling system in Mexico
- Advised on a bridge loan and long-term financing of the largest air cargo carrier in Colombia
- Representation in the U.S. of the two largest Argentine banks
- Representation in the U.S. of three major Portuguese banks
- Representation in the U.S. of major Spanish financial institutions
- Represented the Republic of Peru and the Peruvian Ministry of Energy and Mines in an action, venued in federal court in Texas, relating to oil field services contracts with a Peruvian oil company and involving the Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act
- Represented an American oil company in connection with environmental litigation venued in Ecuador, related to its construction of an oil pipeline in the Ecuadorean Amazon
- Represented the Republic of Honduras in an action, venued in federal court in Florida, related to a dispute over a military weapons and ammunitions consignment agreement
- Represented the Republic of Honduras before the International Center for Settlement of Investment Disputes of the World Bank, Washington D.C., in two investor-state arbitrations, related to road reconstructions in Honduras
- Represented a United States engineering and consulting firm in connection with claims asserted by the Government of Chile's mining agency related to a partial collapse at a copper mine in Chile
- Represented the Republic of Peru in an action, venued in New York federal court, related to an arbitration based on a consulting agreement for construction of water infrastructure projects in Peru
Industries & Practices
- Capital Markets
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- International Arbitration & Litigation
- International Trade
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Patent Prosecution, Portfolio Strategy & Management
- Private Equity
- Trademark, Copyright, Advertising & Brand Management