Josh’s experience spans trial and appellate advocacy, judicial clerking, and plaintiff litigation, allowing him to bring a broad experience to heel for Dorsey clients. As a new attorney, Josh’s first goal is always to understand a client’s objectives and then to develop a plan for what’s next: whether it’s litigation, investigation, or mediation. Armed with a plan, Josh will work hard to execute client goals and ensure a beneficial resolution for everyone involved.
Prior to joining Dorsey & Whitney, Josh served as a law clerk at the Iowa Court of Appeals for the Honorable Judge David May prior to his appointment to the Iowa Supreme Court. In that role, Josh researched and analyzed complex issues in pending appellate cases. Josh drafted appellate opinions on all range of issues, including employment law, complex commercial litigation and contract disputes, and advanced torts.
Josh received his juris doctor with highest honors from the Drake University Law School in 2021. While in law school, Josh was the Notes Editor in the Drake Law Review, Vice President of the Student Bar Association, and captain of the National Moot Court team. During law school, Josh also completed externships with Iowa Supreme Court Justice Brent Appel and the Iowa Attorney General’s office. Josh received his bachelor’s degree from Drake University in Law, Politics, and Society where he wrote his capstone thesis on the history of labor relations in the United States.
Josh is actively involved in his community. As an alum himself, Josh supports the Iowa State Bar Association’s middle and high school mock trial program by volunteering time to judge and coach mock trial students. He is also a member of the Iowa State Bar Association’s Young Lawyer Division’s executive committee and diversity committee. Josh volunteers with the Des Moines Music Coalition and Capital City Pride, as well.
Education & Admissions
Drake University Law School (Juris Doctor, 2021), with Highest Honors, Order of the Coif
Drake University (B.A., 2019)
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Iowa
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Iowa
- Iowa Court of Appeals, Hon. David May, 2021-2022
News & Resources
Industries & Practices
- Labor & Employment
- Labor & Employment Guides
Professional & Civic
- Board Member, Iowa European Cultural Connection
- At-Large Member, Iowa State Bar Association Young Lawyer’s Division Executive Committee
- Member, Iowa State Bar Association Young Lawyer’s Division Diversity Committee
- Volunteer, Capital City Music Coalition
- Contributed more than 50+ pro bono hours, 2022
- Honorary Order of the Barristers: Drake University Law School, 2022
- Jeffrey and Elizabeth Goodman Distinguished Advocate Award, Drake University Law School, 2021. Awarded to the graduating student who, in the opinion of the faculty, demonstrates excellence and proficiency in client representation and advocacy.
- M. Gene Blackburn Award for Best Brief in the 2020 Supreme Court Day Competition, Drake University Law School.