J.B. IS A TRANSACTIONAL ATTORNEY AND BANKRUPTCY LITIGATOR THAT HELPS CLIENTS ACHIEVE THEIR BUSINESS GOALS BY SUPPORTING MERGERS AND ACQUISITIONS, ASSET PURCHASES, AND DEBT FINANCINGS, AND BY REPRESENTING CREDITORS IN BANKRUPTCY MATTERS.
J.B. supports a robust practice of mergers and acquisitions and financing transactions, regularly representing corporations, LLCs, capital and private equity firms, investments funds, entrepreneurs, and investors from formation to growth to exit.
In addition, as a former bankruptcy clerk, J.B. represents creditors and landlords in bankruptcy cases, seeking to maximize value for his clients by leveraging his knowledge of the Bankruptcy Code to negotiate advantageous restructurings and settlements.
Education & Admissions
Concordia University School of Law (J.D., 2017), summa cum laude; graduated first in class; graduation speaker; editor-in-chief of Law Review
College of Idaho (B.A., Political Science, Economics, 2001), magna cum laude
- English, Spanish
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Idaho, Chief Judge Joseph M. Meier, 2018-2019
- Represented a purchaser in an equity purchase of a Florida retirement services company.
- Represented an agricultural producer in the debt restructuring of a $40 million farm property.
- Represented a private equity firm in acquiring equity interests in defense, demolition, and other businesses through a series of debt and equity co-investment transactions.
- Represents multiple creditors in an oil and gas bankruptcy case.
- Represented debtor iron company in confirming a chapter 11 bankruptcy plan.
- Represented debtor software company in confirming a chapter 11 bankruptcy plan.
- Represented holding company in sale and transfer of real estate and steel assets.
- Represents real estate company in litigating a series of multijurisdictional insurance contract disputes.
- Served as ongoing legal counsel for a national orthopedic care practice.
- Serves as ongoing legal counsel for a national bank in connection with debt financings and capital raisings.
News & Resources
- “Ipso What? Bankruptcy Issues in Transactions and Entity Governance” – April 21, 2023 – Idaho State Bar Corporate Law Seminar
- "Basic Mysteries of Bankruptcy Explained” - The Advocate (Idaho State Bar Magazine) - Nov. 2022
- Bankruptcy Jeopardy - Idaho Commercial Law and Bankruptcy Section Annual Conference (2020, 2022, 2023)
- 4th District Bankruptcy Case Law Summary (Idaho State Bar Spring Conference) (2020-2022)
- Judicial Clerks’ Bankruptcy Case Law Review - Idaho Commercial Law and Bankruptcy Section Annual Conference (2019)
- “History of the Commercial Law and Bankruptcy Section” - The Advocate (Idaho State Bar Magazine) (2019)
- Jeopardy! Contestant - January 31, 2019
Industries & Practices
- Banking & Financial Institutions
- Bankruptcy & Financial Restructuring
- Commercial Litigation
- Lending Transactions
- Mergers & Acquisitions
Professional & Civic
- Board of Directors - Idaho State Bar Commercial Law and Bankruptcy Section (2022-Present)
- Member - American Bankruptcy Institute (2018 - present)
- Member - Federal Bar Association (2021 - present) YMCA Basketball Coach (2021 - present)
- Member - American Inns of Court (2018-2020)