Joshua Colangelo-Bryan is an Of Counsel in the New York Trial Department. He also conducts internal investigations. Further, Joshua devotes a substantial portion of his practice to pro bono matters, including the representation of Guantanamo Bay detainees and as a consultant to Human Rights Watch.
Joshua has provided commentary regarding national security, human rights and criminal law matters to various media outlets, including CNN, Good Morning America, ABC World News Tonight, BBC World News, NPR, The New York Times, The Washington Post, The Los Angeles Times, The Boston Globe, The New Yorker, New York Magazine, and Time. He has drafted op-eds appearing in publications such as The Wall Street Journal, The Guardian, Politico, and the Miami Herald. He lectures frequently on these topics as well.
Prior to working for Dorsey, Joshua served with the United Nations Mission in Kosovo, where he was involved in the prosecution of criminal cases involving war crimes and terrorism. He also has done post-conflict humanitarian aid work in the Balkans.
Education & Admissions
University of Washington School of Law (J.D., 1999)
Oberlin College (B.A., 1992)
- New York
- U.S. District Courts for the Southern District of New York, Eastern District of New York and Western District of Washington
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- Penguin Group (USA) Inc. v. Time/Warner Retail Sales & Marketing Services, Inc., 979 N.Y.S. 2d 69 (1st Dep't. 2014). Counsel to Penguin in action yielding $3 million judgment in Penguin’s favor for breach of distribution agreement.
- Peter Lampack Agency, Inc. v. Martha Grimes and Penguin Group (USA) Inc., 958 N.Y.S.2d 310 (Supreme Court, New York County 2010), aff’d, App. Div., 1st Dep't., Mar. 1, 2012. Counsel to Penguin in context of contract and tort claims brought by author’s agent, dismissed on summary judgment.
- Figueiredo Ferraz E Engenharia de Projeto Ltda. v. Republic of Peru, 665 F.3d 384 (2d Cir. 2011). Defended Peru in action to enforce $21 million Peruvian arbitral award in New York. The Second Circuit, hearing interlocutory appeal from district court’s denial of motion to dismiss, reversed and remanded with directions to dismiss action on forum non conveniens grounds.
- Sidney v. Wilson, 03 Civ. 830 (S.D.N.Y. 2009). Prevailed in four-day jury trial on behalf of inmate who brought 8th Amendment claim for excessive force against correctional officer.
- Rosales v. Transamerica Merchant International (Supreme Court, New York County 2008). Represented Chilean investment firm and principal alleged to have made unauthorized, speculative investments that led to multi-million dollar losses. After six-day trial, all claims were dismissed.
- Willis Re Inc. v. John B. Collins Associates, 29 A.D.3d 489 (1st Dep’t. 2006). Won summary judgment, affirmed on appeal, for defendant in action for breach of restrictive covenant involving hire of competitor’s employee.
- Parkwood Partners, L.P. v. Sovereign Partners, L.P., AAA Case No. 13 168 Y 00045 04 (2005). Successfully represented hedge fund in five-day arbitration involving claims for breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty brought by second hedge fund.
- Bear Stearns & Co. Inc. v. EnviroPower, LLC (Supreme Court, New York County 2004). Secured judgment for Bear Stearns in suit for failure to pay “break-up fees.”
- Keeney v. Larkin, 306 F. Supp. 2d 522 (D. Md. 2003), affirmed, 2004 WL 1615214 (4th Cir. July 20, 2004). Prevailed on motion to dismiss a class action securities fraud complaint that alleged – in the court’s words – "a veritable smorgasbord of affirmative misrepresentations of, and failures to disclose, material facts."
- McGowan v. Merrill Lynch, et al., 2003 WL 271354 (N.A.S.D.). Successfully represented respondents in ten-day arbitration involving claims for “financial suicide,” unsuitability, failure to supervise and churning.
- Kunzler v. Canon USA, Inc., 257 F. Supp. 2d 574 (E.D.N.Y. 2003). Won summary judgment on claims for retaliatory discharge.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
Events & Speaking Engagements
- Religious Discrimination in Bahrain; United Nations Human Rights Council; Geneva, Switzerland; March 11, 2015.
- Resisting Guantanamo Through Art and Law; Rutgers University; New Brunswick, New Jersey; October 9, 2014.
- Bahrain: Perverting the Course of Justice; Doughty Street Chambers; London, England; May 29, 2014.
- Defending Freedoms Hearing; Tom Lantos Human Rights Commission; U.S. Congress; Washington, DC; January 16, 2014.
- Panel discussion following "In Our Name: A Play of the Torture Years”; City University of New York, John Jay College of Criminal Justice; New York, New York, May 9, 2012.
- No Justice in Bahrain: Unfair Trials in Military and Civilian Courts; United Nations; Geneva, Switzerland; March 6, 2012.
- Advocacy for Controversial Causes; Gulf Centre for Human Rights, Defenders Conference; Beirut, Lebanon; December 19, 2011.
- The Rule of Law and the War on Terror; Temple University Beasley School of Law; Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; March 29, 2011.
- The Response: In Search of Truth and Justice at Guantanamo; New York City Bar Association; New York, New York; October 4, 2010.
- Human Rights Forum; National Democratic Action Committee; Manama, Bahrain, September 23, 2010.
- Changing Course: The United States' Evolving Approach to International Law; Tulane University Law School; New Orleans, Louisiana; March 19, 2010.
- Torture Redux: The Revival of Physical Coercion During Interrogation in Bahrain; Parliamentary Human Rights Commission, House of Lords; London, England; February 10, 2010.
- Inside a Prison Outside the Law; Barnes & Noble; New York, New York, November 11, 2009.
- Criminal Justice Panel; National Action Network Annual Convention; New York, New York; April 11, 2009.
- The Interrogator’s Burden; American Psychoanalytic Association Conference; New York, New York; January 17, 2009.
- Guantanamo Bay: Indefinite Detention Without Charge or Trial; University of Washington Law School Alumni Association; Seattle, Washington; April 24, 2008.
- Guantanamo Teach-In; Seton Hall University Law School; Newark, New Jersey; October 5, 2006 (simulcast to 300 schools).
- Guantanamo: A Litigator’s Perspective; Human Rights Watch; New York, New York; June 7, 2006.
- Voices of Guantanamo; George Washington School of Law; Washington, DC; March 20, 2006 (broadcast live on C-Span).
- International Law and Guantanamo Bay; Seton Hall University Law School; Newark, New Jersey; April 18, 2006.
- Guantanamo Litigation Strategies; Amnesty International; London, England; November 25, 2005.
- International Justice Mechanisms and the Rule of Law; New York University; New York, New York; March 10, 2005.
- Status of the Kosovo Judicial System; Conference of Serbian Judges and Prosecutors; Belgrade, Serbia; March 12, 2002.
- Kosovo Criminal Law for NATO Personnel; Camp Bondsteel, Kosovo; October 19, 2001.
- Sexual Harassment Prevention and Workforce Diversity; numerous training dates and locations in 1993-1996 and 2000.
Industries & Practices
- Commercial Litigation
- Government Enforcement & Corporate Investigations