Companies continue turning to licensing because it offers valuable economic and strategic opportunities. Licensing can be used to gain access to intellectual property at a lower cost than developing or purchasing intellectual property assets, and as a way of generating new sources of revenue out of existing intellectual property assets. Virtually every business today must confront licensing issues and, therefore, a solid base of knowledge about licensing has never been more important for companies and their counsel. This introductory course will give you an overview of how to negotiate and draft effective license agreements, whether you are the licensor or licensee. Experts in licensing will discuss different kinds of licensing agreements, and the business and legal issues related to them. This program is designed for general practitioners, intellectual property specialists, corporate counsel and others who need to know the basics of how to license and protect their intellectual property.
- Negotiating tips and effective drafting techniques
- Fundamentals of a copyright license
- Important differences between patent and other technology licenses
- Key provisions and practical considerations in trademark licensing
- Understanding software and open source licenses
- Rights of publicity and entertainment licensing
- Protection and enforcement of rights internationally
- Addressing antitrust issues
- Treatment of IP licenses under bankruptcy law
- How licensing can generate new revenue
- Hear from a litigator what happens when the agreement has to be enforced
- Instructive mock negotiation of a license agreement
- Earn one hour of Ethics credit
PLI Group Discounts
Groups of 4-14 from the same organization, all registering at the same time, for a PLI program scheduled for presentation at the same site, are entitled to receive a group discount. For further discount information, please contact membership pli.edu or call (800) 260-4PLI.
PLI Can Arrange Group Viewing to Your Firm
Contact the Groupcasts Department via email at groupcasts pli.edu for more details.
All cancellations received 3 business days prior to the program will be refunded 100%. If you do not cancel within the allotted time period, payment is due in full. You may substitute another individual to attend the program at any time.