Dorsey lawyers with extensive experience in the immigration practice provide a broad range of business immigration services at a global level to our corporate and individual clients located throughout the world. Our firm’s international experience and global network of offices give us an edge in meeting our clients’ immigration needs efficiently and effectively.
Our immigration group has decades of experience handling employment-related matters. We concentrate on obtaining temporary non-immigrant status and visas for executives, treaty traders and investors, business visitors and other professionals. We also assist clients with transitioning from temporary non-immigrant status to permanent residency and naturalization. We provide services involving family-based immigration and student visa matters. We also assist clients in their placement of key employees in foreign countries.
Our clients include a wide variety of companies, organizations and individuals in banking, accounting, technology, marketing/advertising, manufacturing, biotechnology, health science, legal, entertainment, retail, food and agribusiness, academic and other industries.
View our presentations here.
Included in the firm’s services are the following:
- Obtaining and advising on non-immigrant status and visas for employers on behalf of foreign nationals working temporarily in the United States. These include: A, H-1B, H-2, H-3, TN, L-1, E-1, E-2, E-3, J-1, O, P, and R non-immigrant status
- Advising Canadian and Mexican clients on immigration issues under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) and obtaining admissions to the United States
- Counseling on elements and required documents for foreign visitors to the United States, and obtaining B-1 business status and visas
- Obtaining permanent labor certifications and subsequently approval of EB-2 and EB-3 immigrant petitions and permanent resident applications
- Obtaining EB-1 immigrant petitions for persons of extraordinary ability, outstanding professors and researchers, and international managers/executives
- Advising on H-3 trainee and J-1 exchange visitor trainee programs and obtaining status and visas
- Advising F-1 foreign students and institutions and J-1 exchange visitors and sponsors on maintenance of status and employment issues
- Assisting foreign investors and traders and their essential employees on E-2 Investor and E-1 Trader visa options and work authorization
- Assisting investors on EB-5 petitions
- Providing training and advice to corporate clients on I-9 compliance requirements
- Advising on the immigration issues arising from business formation, corporate mergers/acquisitions and other major organizational changes
- Provide on-site immigration law training tailored to the specific needs of corporate clients
- Representing employers and foreign physicians/medical graduates on applications for J-1 waiver of the two-year foreign residency requirement and subsequent H-1B and permanent residency applications
- Representing/preparing foreign nationals for all types of interviews held before the Immigration authority U.S. consular officers abroad regarding visa issuance
- Advising and representing US Citizens and their foreign spouses on fiancés applications or marriage-based immigration applications
Industries & Practices
- Canada Cross-Border Transactions
- Corporate Governance & Compliance
- Labor & Employment
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Technology Commerce