FAISAL REPRESENTS CLIENTS IN COMPLEX COMMERCIAL LITIGATION AND INTERNATIONAL ARBITRATION MATTERS.
Faisal is the head of Dorsey’s Southern California office and a partner in the Trial Group who focuses on complex commercial litigation and arbitration matters.
Faisal represents a variety of clients, including healthcare providers and biomedical companies, banks and other financial institutions, airlines and other aviation clients, technology and other companies in high stakes matters. Faisal is a key member of the firm’s Healthcare and Banking Practice Groups, and also serves as the head of the Aviation Practice Group at Dorsey & Whitney LLP. He also serves on the board of and volunteers as pro bono counsel for several non-profit organizations.
In addition to being a member of the California, New York and New Jersey bars, Faisal is also a member of the London Court of International Arbitration and is also admitted to practice before the Supreme Court of the United States. He also represents clients in arbitral fora across the world, including the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), the Permanent Court of Arbitration in The Hague (PCA), and the American Arbitration Association (AAA).
Faisal has also served on the board of and as pro bono counsel for several non-profit organizations. Faisal co-led Dorsey’s representation of several individuals challenging the constitutionality of their non-unanimous jury convictions through the Promise for Justice Initiative Jim Crow Juries Project.
Prior to joining the Southern California office of Dorsey & Whitney LLP, Faisal worked on the East Coast for K&L Gates LLP.
Recent Litigation Success
- Falck Northern California Corp. v. SG Collaborative LLC, 25 F. 4th 763 (9th Cir. 2022), Obtained the dismissal of an appeal challenging the Court’s denial of an anti-SLAPP motion in conjunction with a business interference and contractual dispute on behalf of plaintiff emergency medical provider.
- General and Vascular Surgery of Long Island et al. v. Paul Millsap, Brooklyn NETS, et al., New York Supreme Court, Nassau County, Case No. 612659/2021 (Mar. 16, 2022). Obtained dismissal of all claims against defendant financial institution in relation to NBA salary futures investments.
- Liberty City Movie LLC v. U.S. Bank, N.A., 824 Fed. Appx. 505 (9th Cir. 2020). Obtained dismissal and appellate court decision affirming dismissal of all claims in relation to a complex film financing arrangement.
- Page v. Minnesota Life Insurance Company, et. al., United States District Court for the Central District of California, Case No. 18-cv-01208-AG-KES (Mar. 11, 2019). Obtained dismissal of all claims against defendant IRA Custodian on jurisdictional grounds.
- Randolph Roth IRA v. GoldStar Trust Company, et. al., Superior Court of California, Madera County, Case No. MCV069874 (June 27, 2019). Obtained dismissal of class action claims brought against defendant indenture trustee by bondholders, and secured the cancellation of the underlying indenture of trust agreements in a related bankruptcy court proceeding.
- AmeriCare MedServices, Inc. v. City of Anaheim and Care Ambulance Service, Inc., Case No. 17-55565 (9th Cir., Aug. 27, 2018). Obtained dismissal and appellate court decision affirming dismissal of all claims against the private party defendant in eight related antitrust actions seeking $31 million in damages.
- London Court of International Arbitration. Obtained a substantial arbitration award from the London Court of International Arbitration in a confidential aircraft leasing dispute on behalf of an international airline client who originally started off as the respondent.
- Stereoscope, LLC v. U.S. Bank Nat. Ass’n, et al., Case No. 15-55370 (9th Cir., Jan. 12, 2017). Obtained dismissal and appellate court decision affirming dismissal of claims seeking nearly $10 million in damages in an important decision that affirms the limited nature of duties owed by an escrow agent.
- Virtualpoint, Inc. v. Poarch Band of Creek Indians and National Arbitration Forum, Inc., 15CV02025 (C.D. Cal., June 6, 2016). Obtained the dismissal of all claims asserted against the National Arbitration Forum in the first holding of its kind that extends the doctrine of arbitral immunity to Uniform Domain-Name Registration Disputes.
- Sanho Corporation v. Wooblue, Inc., et al., Alameda County Superior Court of California Case No. RG13668105 (Nov. 27, 2014). Obtained summary judgment on behalf of the defendants entirely disposing of all claims in a dispute regarding an innovative consumer electronics device.
Education & Admissions
Cornell Law School (J.D., 2003), John M. Olin Student Scholar in Law and Economics; Managing Editor, Cornell Journal of Law and Public Policy
University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) (2000), Boeing-McDonnell Academic Scholarship Recipient; University Honors; Dean’s List
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court of the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- London Court of International Arbitration
Airline and Aircraft Litigation
- Faisal has extensive experience with aircraft leasing disputes, including with litigation that has arisen in the context of deliveries and redeliveries. He has litigated matters involving entitlement to deposits and release of maintenance rents, as well as, matters involving condition of engines, airframes and various other aircraft components. Faisal represents international air carriers in the London Court of International Arbitration and United States Courts.
Foreign Sovereign and International
- Represented an international air carrier in the London Court of International Arbitration and United States courts in connection with a leasing dispute, obtaining a very favorable result after winning a key motion.
- Obtained the dismissal or stay of multiple post-arbitration enforcement actions on behalf of various foreign sovereigns.
- Representing a financial institution in connection with enforcement proceedings in the United States related to an international arbitration award.
- Obtained a more than $10 million recovery for the client insurance company from a co-insurer in connection with underlying mass tort claims by way of summary judgment.
Banking and Trust
- Obtained the dismissal of several matters asserting fraud and related claims against one of the largest banks in the United States in its capacity as trustee for investors in securitized mortgage pools.
- Represented one of the largest banks in the United States in connection with complex stored value card disputes seeking hundreds of millions of dollars in damages, obtaining very favorable results after the filing of summary judgment motions.
- Obtained the dismissal of a complex credit card processing dispute on behalf of one of the largest banks in the United States.
- Representing a bank in its capacity as trustee for bondholders in connection with a complex property development dispute involving investors, developers, and public entities.
- Representing one of the largest banks in the United States in connection with a dispute involving the availability of funds under a Letter of Credit.
- Represented one of the largest banks in the United States in connection with an investigation by the United States Securities and Exchange Commission.
- Participated in all aspects of defending a securities enforcement action against the CFO of a major corporation, including taking and defending complex accounting expert and auditor depositions, leading to the court’s denial of summary judgment in favor of the Securities and Exchange Commission.
- Participated in all aspects of defending a securities class action lawsuit filed against one of the most well-known mutual funds in the United States.
- Represents manufacturers and property owners in all aspects of the defense of asbestos and vinyl chloride lawsuits in New York, New Jersey, and California.
- Obtained a very favorable settlement, for a fraction of the liability ultimately assigned to the client by a jury, in connection with the first asbestos case that went to trial in New Jersey in nearly a decade.
- Represented a large property owner in the successful defense of multiple premises liability matters, including multiple successful summary judgment motions.
- Represented the owner of a large fleet of vehicles in the successful defense of personal injury matters.
- Represents clients in connection with eminent domain, foreclosure and related litigation.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
Events & Speaking Engagements
Industries & Practices
- Antitrust & Competition Law
- Banking & Financial Institutions
- Class Action Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Food, Beverage & Agribusiness
- Insurance Law
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- International Arbitration & Litigation
- Products Liability
- Securities & Financial Services Litigation & Enforcement