Kayla focuses on all aspects of environmental compliance, with considerable experience in matters involving solid and hazardous wastes (RCRA), the remediation of contaminated properties (CERCLA), water quality (CWA), and the analysis of the environmental effects of proposed major Federal actions (NEPA). Kayla frequently advises on matters concerning the regulatory status and management of hazardous materials. She also regularly assists clients with environmental permitting matters for mining and alternative energy projects. Additionally, Kayla provides environmental support related to transactional due diligence and contracting matters.
Education & Admissions
University of Utah, S. J. Quinney College of Law (J.D., Certificate in Environmental and Natural Resources Law, 2019), Executive Environmental Editor; Utah Law Review
University of Utah (B.S., Environmental Geosciences; B.S., Environmental Studies & Sustainability)
- Advised multiple companies on state and federal permitting requirements for mining and alternative energy projects.
- Counseled manufacturing clients through stormwater and pretreatment permitting process.
- Assisted with the environmental permitting needs for the development of new major trona mine in Wyoming.
Environmental Compliance and Enforcement
- Advised multiple mining clients on materials management questions related to compliance with RCRA.
- Assisted development company with environmental matters related to the redevelopment of a contaminated property under the Utah Voluntary Cleanup Program.
- Represented manufacturing client in the negotiations of a settlement agreement concerning solid and hazardous waste management.
- Advised multiple mining clients on environmental matters related to the decommissioning of uranium mill sites.
- Advised global logistics company on various matters concerning the management of various materials in compliance with RCRA.
- Provided contract drafting advice to energy and mining companies to support large project development.
- Assisted multiple companies with Enforceable Written Assurance and Bona Fide Prospective Purchaser protections.
- Advised multiple mining clients on the environmental aspects of transactions to acquire mining properties and assets.
- Assisted with the development of an EPA “Other Test Method” for use in detecting VOC emissions.
- Provided support in revising Utah legislation regulating storage tanks.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
- Benjamin Machlis & Kayla Weiser-Burton, Modern Tailings Management, 59 FOUND. JOURNAL FOR NAT. RES. AND ENERGY LAW 105 (2022).
- Clean Drinking Water: A Stream of Success and Opportunity for Reform, Utah Law Review Volume 2019: No. 2 (2019)
Industries & Practices
- Energy & Natural Resources
- Real Estate & Land Use