Zev has served clients in the energy industry for over a decade. Unlike many energy attorneys who concentrate on only one or two aspects of the industry, Zev has a truly diversified practice. His experience ranges from counseling clients regarding rates, PURPA, economic development, infrastructure development, municipal relations, electricity sale and purchase transactions, and asset transfers to representing clients in all manner of regulatory proceedings before state and federal commissions including rate cases, resource plans, and interjurisdictional matters.
Zev’s broad energy industry perspective is informed by his service as a legislative aide to United States Senator Bob Graham, who he advised on energy, environmental and agricultural issues. Clients appreciate Zev’s multi-dimensional experience because it enables him to more effectively evaluate their legal challenges and develop solutions to advance their business interests.
- Represented Midwest utility in all aspects of material economic development transaction and related regulatory proceedings.
- Represented Colorado utility on material asset sales and purchases.
- Assisted Midwestern utility in federal jurisdictional wheeling and distribution interconnection agreements for mid-size hydro facility.
- Assisted Midwestern utilities in various transmission asset sales and purchases including the acquisition of 500-mile DC transmission line and sale of 30-mile transmission line.
- Represented Midwestern utility in the transitioning of wholesale customers to interconnection customers, including asset transfers and associated new interconnections, as well as regulatory proceedings establishing FERC jurisdictional pro-forma transmission-to-load interconnection agreements and state regulatory approvals. Totaling over 70 different transactions in one year.
- Represented Midwestern utility in complex PURPA related transactions to transition interconnection and rate treatment from state to federal jurisdiction.
- Represented Midwestern utility in negotiating various tariffed power purchase agreements and advised on development of master tariff form.
- Represented utilities and developers in numerous federal jurisdictional interconnection agreements and related disputes.
- Represented Midwestern utilities for numerous electric service agreements.
- Assisted Midwestern utility in management of statutorily mandated renewable energy program culminating in more than 30 transactions.
- Advised Midwestern utility on various PURPA related strategic matters.
- Represented Midwestern utility in various real estate transactions.
- Represented and advised various utilities in various matters before the MPUC, NDPSC, SDPUC, and COPUC.
- Represented utilities in rate cases in various states.
- Represents large multi-jurisdictional utility regarding interjurisdictional policy disputes between states served by common system.
- Representation of various utilities for regulatory approvals of material transmission and generation capital investments including over 2,000 MW of renewable energy and over 1,500 miles of transmission facilities in four states.
- Advised utility on various regulatory matters, including tariff compliance.
- Advised utility on various affiliated interest matters.
- Represented utilities in various merger approvals before state utility commissions.
- Represented developers’ interests in various FERC proceedings.
- Represented Midwestern utility in significant FPA Section 206 matters relating to rights to develop and own transmission facilities under the MISO Tariff.
- Represented utilities in various FPA Section 205 matters.
- Represented Midwestern utility in defense of FPA Section 206 compliant related to presumed discriminatory treatment.
- Represented Midwestern utility in various FPA 203 matters.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
Events & Speaking Engagements
Industries & Practices
- Development & Infrastructure
- Electric Power
- Energy & Natural Resources
- Oil & Gas
- Project Development & Finance