Lee is known for his commitment to his clients’ success. Quoting one client, IAM Patent reports that he “takes a deep interest in clients’ products and offers practical and commercial solutions rather than legal theory” in its 2020 Patent 1000 rankings. Spending almost 20 years as Head of Dorsey's Patent Group has allowed Lee to gain invaluable insight into not only the Patent and Intellectual Property groups, but, just as importantly, Dorsey’s other practice groups. He also experienced first-hand the value of good teamwork, a commitment to excellence, and the importance of listening, learning and educating in both client and internal Dorsey relationships. As a result, Lee is fortunate to have the opportunity to maintain and develop client relationships over a long period of time, some for over two decades.
The four areas in which Lee focuses his practice include:
- Analyzing and resolving intellectual property risks associated with product commercialization;
- Early-stage enforcement and defense of intellectual property rights, and follow-up together with Dorsey IP litigators if needed;
- Patent prosecution, portfolio growth and management strategy, and commercialization efforts; and
- Due diligence relating to mergers and acquisitions.
Because Lee’s clients are international, so is his practice. He assists clients with their IP in the above-mentioned four areas across the United States as well as in Europe and China. Some of the world’s best known global companies in the retail travel products, consumer fitness, health care and medical products, home furnishing goods, and manufacturing, industrial, and environmental processes and equipment industries rely on him for his ability to provide comprehensive, global advice.
While Lee's personal legal practice is focused on intellectual property, his clients know him best for his high service standards, and his Dorsey colleagues know him for his cooperative spirit and for leadership. In addition to leading the Patent Group, Lee has served on Dorsey’s Management Committee (2003 to 2007) and Policy Committee (2018 to present; Co-Chair 2019 to present). The internal Firm relationships he has developed while serving in these roles allows Lee to match his clients with the best legal talent in all the practice areas Dorsey has to offer. Lee’s efforts in facilitating access to Dorsey’s top talent are most often provided as a courtesy.
Lee enjoys remaining close to innovation where possible. He designs and implements invention disclosure programs, and provides educational material and presentations for clients when helpful.
Lee worked as a semiconductor fabrication engineer at Honeywell, Inc. and ATMEL Corp. prior to becoming an attorney, which allows him to have a business perspective to the legal issues his clients face.
- Pay for Success project expands Nurse-Family Partnership to improve health outcomes for first-time moms and their children
- Samsonite expands outdoor product brands with strategic purchase of Gregory Mountain Products
- Samsonite enters market for mobile device cases with strategic purchase of Speck
- Samsonite adds chic luggage brand through strategic acquisition of Lipault
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
Events & Speaking Engagements
- “Ethics in the IP Practice,” CLE International, Denver, January, 2004
Industries & Practices
- Creative Industries
- Patent Prosecution, Portfolio Strategy & Management
- Named one of “America’s Leading Business Lawyers” by Chambers USA (Intellectual Property), 2009-2020
- Listed as a Colorado Super Lawyer, 2010-2020
- Named "Denver Lawyer of the Year" in Patent Law, Technology Law by Best Lawyers©, 2020
- Named "Denver Lawyer of the Year" in Litigation - Intellectual Property by Best Lawyers©, 2016
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America©, 2007-2021
- Listed as a Top Lawyer in Denver by 5280 The Denver Magazine, 2015-2017 and 2020
- Recognized as the “Best Intellectual Property Lawyer (non litigator)” in Barrister’s Best 2015 - Law Week Colorado
- Recognized as an “IP Star” in 2013-2020 by Managing Intellectual Property Handbook
- Recognized in IAM Global Leaders, 2020
- Recognized in IAM Patent 1000 - World's Leading Patent Practitioners, 2012-2013 and 2019-2020
- Listed in Colorado's Corporate Counsel Black Book, Intellectual Property Transactions, 2007
- 40 under 40, Denver Business Journal, 2004