Mike’s experience includes mergers and acquisitions, corporate restructurings, and business disputes. He takes pride in understanding the practical business impact of legal matters.
Mike’s practice covers a wide variety of business and finance issues, and he serves as outside general counsel consulting on strategic issues for many of his clients.
Education & Admissions
University of Michigan (J.D., 1987)
University of Queensland, Australia (1984), Rotary Foundation Fellowship
University of Notre Dame (B.A., 1983)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Districts of Alaska and Colorado
- U.S. Bankruptcy Appellate Panel for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for Alaska, Colorado, Delaware, Maryland, the Northern District of Illinois, the Eastern District of Texas, the Western District of Washington, the Northern District of Oklahoma
- Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers (America), Inc. (represented Ritchie Bros. in §363 bankruptcy acquisition of $35,000,000 of pipeline equipment)
- Builders Choice, Inc. (represented seller in stock sale of modular builder and lumber company)
- Geneva Woods Pharmacy, Inc. (represent Alaska-based pharmacy as corporate counsel and in multiple acquisitions in Wyoming, Washington, Idaho and Alaska, including 363 and receivership purchases)
- The Chenega Corporation (represented The Chenega Corporation in numerous multi-million dollar acquisitions from 2007-present, one over $50,000,000, and the sale of several hotels)
- Bristol Bay Native Corporation (represented buyer in purchase of three Alaska fishing lodges, including Brooks Lodge)
- Inlet Fish Producers, Inc. (represented fish processor in sale of its three plants)
- Janicki Industries, Inc. (represented borrower in $52,000,000 financing, $15,000,000 Utah plant expansion, and $62,000,000 financing)
- VECO Corporation (represented major shareholder in $463,000,000 sale to CH2M HILL of oil and gas related engineering and construction company)
- Real Estate Financing (completed $10,300,000 commercial mortgage-backed security refinancing after successful debt restructure and co-owner buy-out)
- Corporate Restructuring (represented numerous companies and also creditors in successful debt restructurings)
- Aleut Enterprise, LLC v. Adak Seafoods and Independence Bank (obtained summary judgment for owner of fish processing plant in complex lease dispute)
- Tikigaq/Global Services v. Alaska Petroleum Contractors (obtained a jury verdict of approximately $700,000 against Alaska Petroleum Contractors in the Alaska Superior Court)
- Alltel Publishing v. Alaska Communication Systems (represented Alltel Publishing of Akron, Ohio, subsidiary of Alltel Corporation, in Alaska Superior Court in multi-million dollar breach of contract action over termination of yellow page contract)
- Ownership Disputes (represent many owners in disputes, sales and dissolutions)
Bankruptcy Matters (Debtor, Creditor and Trustee Counsel)
- Channel Construction (Alaska) (represent unsecured creditors committee in full payment plan)
- Aleut Management Services (Colorado case) (defended corporate parent in fraudulent transfer case brought by trustee)
- TW&C (Maryland case) (represented Chenega in a government contractor Chapter 11 cash collateral loan and 363 purchase of contracts)
- Catholic Bishop of Northern Alaska, Inc. (Diocese of Fairbanks) (confirmed Chapter 11 plan) (Debtor Counsel)
- Pacific Energy (Delaware case) (represented CIRI as pipeline lessor and natural gas lessor in debtor's sale of oil field on west side of Cook Inlet)
- Era Aviation (represented Seacor Holdings, Era Helicopters, Era FBO, largest unsecured creditors and member of unsecured creditors' committee in Chapter 11, full payout plan)
- Martech, Inc. and Chapter 7 trustee (represented NYSE listed construction/remediation company in Chapter 11 and served as special counsel for Chapter 7 trustee)
- MarkAir, Inc. and Chapter 7 trustee (largest Chapter 11 in Alaska's history. Alaska based airline. Successfully reorganized in 1993. Second Chapter 11 case converted to Chapter 7 in 1995. Served as special counsel for Chapter 7 trustee) Trustees (represented trustee in over 100 chapter 7 cases)
- The Aleut Corporation
- All American Oilfield, LLC
- Caelus Energy Alaska, LLC
- Calkins & Burke, Ltd./C.B. Magnum, Inc. (Vancouver, BC)
- The Chenega Corporation
- ENSTAR Natural Gas Company
- Ferguson Enterprises, Inc.
- Geneva Woods Pharmacy, Inc.
- Grant Aviation Inc.
- Inlet Fisheries, Inc./Inlet Fish Producers, Inc.
- Janicki Industries, Inc. (Sedro-Woolley, WA)
- Mobile IV Systems, LLC
- Partusch Plumbing & Heating, Inc.
- Phillips Scales, Inc.
- Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers Incorporated (Vancouver, BC)
- TerraSond Limited, Inc.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
Events & Speaking Engagements
Industries & Practices
- Bankruptcy & Financial Restructuring
- Closely Held Businesses
- Corporate Governance & Compliance
- Emerging Companies
- Executive Compensation
- Health Care
- Indian & Alaska Native
- Lending Transactions
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Mining & Natural Resources
- Private Equity
- Real Estate & Land Use
- Technology Commerce
- Listed as an Alaska Super Lawyer, 2013-2015
- Ranked as a Corporate/M&A and Corporate/M&A: Bankruptcy lawyer by Chambers USA, 2011-2017 (Band 1 and 2)
- Ranked one of "America's Leading Business Lawyers" by Chambers USA, 2007 & 2010
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© in the specialty of Bankruptcy and Creditor-Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law, 2003-2018
- Co-Chair of Bankruptcy Section of Alaska Bar, 1995-1997