A strong believer that close relationships drive successful outcomes, Bill cultivates connections within and outside the legal field to benefit his clients and community. Combining these relationships with legal skill, Bill is an effective advocate in complex business matters, employment disputes and claims, and personal injury defense for clients in industries at the center of the modern economy including healthcare, government, and financial services. Bill handles matters through all aspects of litigation, including pre-suit investigation and negotiation, administrative proceedings, arbitration, and trial and appeal in state and federal court. His experience includes litigation in probate and bankruptcy courts. Bill also serves as the pro bono coordinator for the firm’s Iowa office.
Education & Admissions
Drake University Law School , With Highest Honors; Order of the Coif; Iowa State Bar Association Graduating Senior Award; H.G. Cartwright Law Review Award
Augustana College , cum laude; Phi Beta Kappa
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
U.S. District Courts and Bankruptcy Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of Iowa
- Iowa Supreme Court, Honorable Mark S. Cady
Bill is a trial lawyer and has litigated several matters through trial and appeal. Other successes have resulted in client victories without trial. Some of his notable experiences include:
- Trial and appeal (N.D. Iowa and Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals) of breach of contract claims surrounding economic development agreement between a municipal client and corporation alleging the city failed to pay agreed-upon incentives.
- Defense and arbitration of employment claims involving sexual harassment by female supervisor directed at two male employees.
- Securing summary judgment for food industry corporation in federal court (S.D. Iowa) defeating former employee’s claims of termination in violation of public policy.
- Defense of municipal client through trial in Iowa state court (Dubuque County) against claim that special assessments for local improvements violated Iowa law.
- Successful federal court (S.D. Iowa) trial of breach of contract claims asserted by entity claiming rights to unique colony of bonobos living in Des Moines.
- Consultation, trial support, and appeal, including oral argument to the Iowa Supreme Court, in action seeking to stymie client’s economic development initiatives involving tax increment financing and zoning issues.
- Represented manufacturing client in complex products liability action in Iowa state court (Mahaska County). With a Dorsey colleague, tried the case to a jury over five weeks resulting in an eight-figure verdict in favor of client.
- Defense of hospital in Iowa state court (Linn County) in action alleging malpractice by nursing employees, resulting in a defense verdict after trial to a jury.
- Lead counsel in securing a defense verdict after trial in Iowa state court (Polk County) of plaintiffs’ failure to warn claim related to allegedly-defective vehicle loading ramp.
- Success in securing summary judgment in Iowa state court (Polk County) on plaintiff's tort claims against client premised on conduct of therapist allegedly employed by client.
- Represented long term care facility in Iowa federal court (Northern District) against allegations of termination of employment in violation of public policy, including securing a defense verdict after trial to a jury.
- Secured dismissal with prejudice of claims against pharmaceutical manufacturer in Iowa federal court (N.D. Iowa) in defense of products liability claims arising from alleged failure of vaccine to protect plaintiff’s swine herd.
- Multiple representations of hospital client in defense of medical malpractice claims in Iowa state court (Linn County), including securing summary judgment based on plaintiffs’ inability to offer expert testimony in support of their claims.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
Industries & Practices
- Class Action Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Health Care
- Health Litigation
- Labor & Employment
- Pro Bono
- Products Liability
Professional & Civic
- Member, Polk County Bar Association
- Member, Board of Governors
- Chair, Judicial Retention Committee
- Past Member, Ethics Committee
- Past Member, Public Relations Committee
- Past Member, PCBA Volunteer Lawyers Project Board of Directors
- Past Member and Co-Chair, Iowa Supreme Court Advisory Committee on Rules of Civil Procedure
- Past Member, Iowa Supreme Court Commission on Continuing Legal Education
- Member, Iowa State Bar Association
- Member, Appellate Practice Committee
- Past Member, Board of Governors
- Past Member, Independence of the Judiciary/Fair Courts Committee
- Past Member and Chair, Young Lawyers Division Services to the Elderly Committee
- Member, Iowa Defense Counsel Association
- Past Member, American Judicature Society, National Advisory Council
- Past Member, American Judicature Society, Amicus Committee
- Recognized as one of Des Moines Business Record's 2014 Forty Under 40
- 2008 Graduate of the Greater Des Moines Leadership Institute
- Past Member, Amanda the Panda Board of Directors
- Past President, Beaverdale Neighborhood Association
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America© for Commercial Litigation, 2016-2017
- Rated AV Preeminent® by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Recognized as one of Benchmark Litigation's Under 40 Hot List, 2016-2017
- Named "Up and Coming" by Chambers USA (Litigation: General Commercial), 2015-2016
- Recognized as a "Rising Star" by Great Plains Super Lawyers, 2013-2016
- Recognized as a "Future Star" by Benchmark Litigation, 2015-2016