Bill is a Partner with a dynamic practice involving complex business litigation, employment, products liability, and personal injury defense for clients in fields including healthcare, government, financial services, and transportation. He handles matters through all stages of litigation, including trial and appeal, and values the opportunity to work with clients throughout Iowa and elsewhere in assessing and serving their legal needs to achieve optimal results. Bill also serves as the pro bono coordinator for the firm’s Des Moines office.
Education & Admissions
Drake University Law School (2002), With Highest Honors; Order of the Coif; Iowa State Bar Association Graduating Senior Award; H.G. Cartwright Law Review Award
Augustana College (1999), cum laude; Phi Beta Kappa
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
U.S. District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of Iowa
- Iowa Supreme Court, Honorable Mark S. Cady, 2002-2004
- Represented manufacturing client in complex products liability action in Iowa state court (Mahaska County). With a Dorsey colleague, tried the case to a jury over five weeks resulting in an eight-figure verdict in favor of our client.
- Represented hospital in Iowa state court (Linn County) in action alleging malpractice by nursing employees, resulting in a defense verdict after trial to a jury.
- Lead counsel in securing a defense verdict after trial in Iowa state court (Polk County) of plaintiffs’ failure to warn claim related to allegedly-defective vehicle loading ramp.
- Lead counsel in securing summary judgment in Iowa state court (Polk County) on plaintiff's tort claims against client premised on conduct of therapist allegedly employed by client.
- Lead counsel in securing summary judgment in Iowa federal court (Southern District) on a specific performance claim arising out of client’s purported responsibility for delivery of a product after bankruptcy of the product dealer.
- Lead counsel in securing summary judgment in Nebraska state court (Douglas County) on plaintiff’s tort and contract claims surrounding a motor vehicle collision.
- Represented long term care facility in Iowa federal court (Northern District) against allegations of termination in violation of public policy, including securing a defense verdict after trial to a jury.
- Represented electric cooperative in Iowa state court (Polk County) through successful trial of dispute involving allegations of breaches of fiduciary duty and other corporate wrongdoing.
- Represented pharmaceutical manufacturer in Iowa federal court (Northern District) in defense of products liability claims arising from alleged failure of vaccine to protect plaintiff’s swine herd. Case was dismissed with prejudice without recovery of damages.
- Represented hospital in defense of medical malpractice claims in Iowa state court (Linn County) arising out of the death of a newborn, including securing summary judgment based on plaintiffs’ inability to offer expert testimony in support of their claims.
- Local counsel for successful multi-million dollar claims in probate asserted in Iowa state court (Muscatine County) on behalf of a financial institution.
- Argued appeal involving contractual claims to the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
Industries & Practices
- Class Action Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Health Care
- Health Litigation
- Labor & Employment
- Pro Bono
- Products Liability
Professional & Civic
- Co-Chair, Iowa Supreme Court Advisory Committee on Rules of Civil Procedure
- Member, Iowa State Bar Association
- Member, Appellate Practice Committee
- Member, Fair Courts Committee
- Member, Board of Governors (2012-2013)
- Member, Independence of the Judiciary Committee (2006-2012)
- Member and Chair, Young Lawyers Division Services to the Elderly Committee (2002-2008)
- Member, Polk County Bar Association
- Member, Board of Governors
- Co-Chair, Judicial Retention Committee
- Member, Ethics Committee
- Member, Public Relations Committee (2002-2008)
- Member, PCBA Volunteer Lawyers Project Board of Directors
- Member, Iowa Defense Counsel Association
- Member, American Judicature Society, National Advisory Council (2005-2014)
- Member, American Judicature Society, Amicus Committee (2005-2014)
- Member, Defense Research Institute (2002-2013)
- Member, Iowa Supreme Court Commission on Continuing Legal Education (2004-2010)
- Recognized as one of Des Moines Business Record's 2014 Forty Under 40
- Member, Amanda the Panda Board of Directors
- President, Beaverdale Neighborhood Association (2003-2009)
- Graduate of the Greater Des Moines Leadership Institute (2008)
- Named "Up and Coming" by Chambers USA (Litigation: General Commercial), 2015-2016
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America© for Commercial Litigation, 2016
- Rated AV Preeminent® by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Recognized as a "Rising Star" by Great Plains Super Lawyers, 2013-2016
- Recognized as a "Future Star" by Benchmark Litigation, 2015-2016