MICHAEL SPECIALIZES IN HELPING HIS CLIENTS IN TRANSACTIONS WHERE CRITICAL INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY ASSETS ARE BEING CREATED, ACQUIRED AND SHARED, AND WHERE KEY LONG-TERM COMMERCIAL RELATIONSHIPS ARE BEING CREATED.
Michael has over 25 years of experience in corporate transactions and the technicalities of intellectual property law. He specializes in deals to create intellectual property through joint ventures and agreements with inventive employees and consultants, to acquire intellectual property assets and services through acquisition, outsourcing and service agreements, and to license intellectual property inbound and outbound. He also specializes in transactions to exploit intellectual property through product distribution arrangements, vendor agreements, and supply agreements. Michael often works with clients to restructure these kinds of commercial arrangements and handle disputes when they are not going well. Michael has special expertise in international transactions, helping US clients expand their businesses abroad and helping non-US clients bring their businesses to the US.
Michael’s clients range from early-stage companies to large household-name companies, where specialized knowledge, inventive activities and intellectual property rights are important.
Michael is Co-Chair of the Technology Commerce Practice Group in Dorsey’s Corporate Group.
- Represent several US manufacturers of implantable medical products in domestic and international product distribution, license and joint development of intellectual property matters
- Represent German manufacturer of hardware and software systems in license transactions and product supply agreements
- Represent US and foreign technology companies in inbound license transactions with universities and academic medical centers for core technology
- Represent US software and medical device companies in establishing direct operations in Europe, South America and Asia
- Represent several US companies in long-term manufacturing, supply and license arrangements after sales of divisions and retention of related business operations
- Represent German manufacturer of machine tool products in expanding business to US
- Represent publicly-traded biotechnology company to develop and commercialize transportation technology for biological materials through a joint venture
- Represent healthcare software company in license and reseller agreements with major manufacturers of diagnostic platform systems
- Represent US telecommunications company in negotiation of standard-essential patent license agreement from major patent holder
- Represent early-stage medical device companies in supply chain agreements for product manufacturing
- Represent agribusiness company in technology licensing and commercial agreements for management of farm and processing facilities
- Represent US software companies in software development transactions with developers in India, China and former Soviet Union
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
Events & Speaking Engagements
Industries & Practices
- Clean Technology
- Emerging Companies
- Food & Agribusiness
- Franchise & Distribution Law
- Health Care
- International Trade
- Technology Commerce