Jillian is a partner in Dorsey’s Labor & Employment group, where she focuses her practice on employment litigation and advice, and independent investigations. Jillian assists employers in investigating and responding to internal complaints, agency charges, and lawsuits based on allegations of discrimination, harassment, retaliation, breach of contract, conversion, wage and leave statute violations, and whistleblower claims. In her advice practice, she helps clients avoid litigation and be in the best position possible if an employee does bring a claim. Jillian also helps employers navigate union grievances and unfair labor practice charges. Jillian has conducted a number of complex and sensitive investigations, using her clinical social work background to reach the heart of the matter in a way that leaves interviewees feeling respected during the process.
Before practicing law, Jillian spent six years in human resources management. In these roles, she advised managers on employee relations, recruiting, compensation, benefits, performance appraisals, and organizational development issues.
Education & Admissions
University of Minnesota Law School (J.D.), magna cum laude
Note & Article Editor, ABA Journal of Labor & Employment Law
Minnesota State Bar Association Student Award for Excellence in Employment Law
Hunter College (Master of Social Work)
Cornell University (B.A., Psychology)
- Represented client in FLSA misclassification claim, successfully defending attempts to invalidate arbitration agreement’s class action waiver before the National Labor Relations Board and AAA.
- Obtained Rule 12(b)(6) dismissal of age discrimination claims against client.
- Conducted independent investigation of sexual harassment allegations against member of client’s senior management team.
- Successfully represented client in union’s unfair labor practice charge with NLRB and employee’s state charge of disability and age discrimination stemming from the same circumstances.
- Obtained Minnesota Court of Appeals decision affirming denial of unemployment benefits based on IT consultant’s independent contractor status.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
Events & Speaking Engagements
- "#MeToo: Has a Powerful Social Movement Changed the Rules of Sexual Harassment Complaints and Claims?," Hennepin County Bar Association (February 16, 2018)
- Dorsey L&E Conference, “Annual Cybersecurity Considerations in the Employment Relationship,” (April 27, 2017)
- Dorsey L&E Breakfast Briefing, “Employment in the Digital Ag,” (February 23, 2017)
- MSBA Corporate Counsel Institute, “Hot Topics in Employment Law,” (February 10, 2017)
- Dorsey E-Discovery Forum, “Let’s Go Back to the Beginning…Legal Holds & Preservation” (January 25, 2017)
- Minnesota CLE, Problem Employees Seminar, “When the Problematic Behavior Stems from a Mental Health Condition” (Nov. 15, 2016)
- Association for Corporate Counsel, MN Chapter, Nonprofit Tune-Up, “Employment Law Overview,” Training for in-house counsel to work with nonprofits. (October 27, 2016)
- Minnesota Association of Independent Schools Head of Schools Retreat, “Hiring Processes and Employment Policies,” June 22, 2016
- Assurex Global Webinar, “Making Sense of the Employee Classification Puzzle,” Co-presented with Bob Seng (April 28, 2016)
- Dorsey Minneapolis L&E Employment Seminar, “Stop Me If You’ve Heard This One Before: New Twists on Disability and Religious Accommodation Requests." Presented with Sarah Herman (March 3, 2016)
- Association of Corporate Counsel, MN Chapter, Pro Bono Clinic 2015: Employment Law Overview
- Dorsey, 2015 Minnesota Employment Law Conference, “Investigations and Whistleblowing: How to Proceed When An Investigation Reveals Criminal Conduct or Other Improprieties.”
- Dorsey, 2015 Utah Employment Law Seminar, “Negotiating the Mine Field - How to Avoid Retaliation Claims.”
- Dorsey L&E Webinar, Accommodation or Corrective Action?: Navigating ADA Requirements and Performance Expectations for Employees with Mental Health Conditions
- Minnesota CLE, Women’s Economic Security Act
- Association of Corporate Counsel, MN Chapter, Pro Bono Clinic 2014: Employment Law Overview
- Lee, Hecht, Harrison: Employment Law: 2013 Update and 2014 Possibilities
- Dorsey L&E 2013 Fall Conference: Issues in Investigations: Who Did What, Where and When?
- Association of Corporate Counsel, MN Chapter, Pro Bono Clinic 2013: Employment Law Overview
- Lee, Hecht, Harrison: Employment Law: 2012 Update and 2013 Possibilities
- Association of Corporate Counsel, MN Chapter, Pro Bono Clinic 2012: Employment Law Overview
- Dorsey L&E Webinar: But We’ve Only Just Met: The Dos and Don’ts of Pre-Employment Screening
- Lee, Hecht, Harrison: Employment Law: 2011 Update and 2012 Possibilities
Industries & Practices
- Banking & Financial Institutions
- Healthcare & Life Sciences
- Labor & Employment