Alan is a litigator in Dorsey’s trial group with a focus on clients in the healthcare industry. Alan represents clients in a wide variety of substantive legal areas, including breach of contract, trade secret misappropriation, breach of fiduciary duties, professional malpractice, and claims arising under ERISA, the False Claims Act, and other statutes.
Alan represents clients in all phases of civil litigation. He has tried a dozen cases to completion before juries, judges, and arbitration panels across the country. He also has substantial experience in pre-trial motion practice as well as written and oral discovery.
Prior to joining Dorsey in 2017, Alan was an associate in a large law firm in Chicago.
Education & Admissions
Northwestern University School of Law (J.D., 2014), cum laude
University of Minnesota (B.A., 2007), summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
- U.S. District Court for District of Minnesota
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the District of North Dakota
- Successfully opposed class certification on behalf of pharmacy benefit manager in lawsuit alleging ERISA fiduciary breaches.
- Successfully opposed class certification and won summary judgment on behalf of health insurer in lawsuit alleging breach of contract and violations of mental health parity laws.
- Obtained dismissal of lawsuit against three ERISA-governed health plans alleging breach of contract and related tort claims.
- Representing health insurer in multiple lawsuits by out-of-network providers alleging claims for benefits under ERISA and state law.
- Representing hospital and medical professionals in lawsuit alleging medical malpractice claims.
- Representing hospital in breach of contract dispute.
- Representing pharmacy benefit manager in consolidated action alleging antitrust and consumer fraud claims.
- Representing laboratory in lawsuit against competitor alleging unfair competition and false advertising.
- Represented third party claims administrator in American Health Lawyers Association (AHLA) arbitration against provider alleging breach of contract and violations of Medicare and state insurance regulations.
- Represented hospital system in lawsuit alleging False Claims Act violations, defamation, and other tortious conduct.
- Successfully opposed transfer of class action lawsuit against pharmacy benefit manager into multi-district litigation.
- Represented healthcare client in responding to civil investigative demand from the U.S. Department of Justice.
Other Complex Commercial Litigation
- Obtained jury verdict on all claims in three week jury trial for solid waste company accused of trade secret misappropriation.
- Obtained no damages award in AAA-arbitration seeking $2.5 million from business jet manufacturer.
- Member of trial team in $50 million, four-week bench trial involving claims of trade secret misappropriation and breach of contract.
- Defended consulting firm against actuarial malpractice claims brought under False Claims Act; obtained favorable settlement during trial.
- Represented sovereign government in investor-state treaty arbitration against claims of expropriation of property.
- Obtained dismissal of lawsuit alleging breach of fiduciary duty and usurpation of corporate opportunity against high level financial services professional.
- Represented defense contractor in government investigation involving False Claims Act allegations.
- Represented taxpayer in U.S. Tax Court challenging the government’s denial of the taxpayer’s theft-loss deduction.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
Industries & Practices
- Banking & Financial Institutions
- Commercial Litigation
- Healthcare & Life Sciences
- Healthcare Litigation
- International Arbitration & Litigation
- Securities & Financial Services Litigation & Enforcement
- MSBA North Star Lawyer (2018)
- Named as a “Rising Star” by the National Immigrant Justice Center for pro bono representation of asylum seekers (2017)
- Received Albert E. Jenner, Jr. Pro Bono Award for exceptional commitment to pro bono representation (2016)
- Public Interest Law Initiative (PILI) Fellow at Northwestern University School of Law’s Bluhm Legal Clinic (2014)