Alan is a litigator in Dorsey’s trial group with a focus on clients in the healthcare industry. Alan represents clients in a wide variety of substantive legal areas, including breach of contract, trade secret misappropriation, breach of fiduciary duties, professional malpractice, and claims arising under the False Claims Act and other statutes.
Alan represents clients in all phases of civil litigation. He has tried a dozen cases to completion before juries, judges, and arbitration panels across the country. He also has substantial experience in pre-trial motion practice as well as written and oral discovery.
Prior to joining Dorsey in 2017, Alan was an associate in a large law firm in Chicago.
Education & Admissions
Northwestern University School of Law (J.D., 2014), cum laude
University of Minnesota (B.A., 2007), summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
- U.S. District Court for District of Minnesota
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the District of North Dakota
- Representing pharmacy benefit manager in class action alleging ERISA fiduciary breaches.
- Representing health insurer in putative class action lawsuit alleging breach of contract and violations of mental health parity laws.
- Representing health insurer in multiple lawsuits alleging claims for benefits under ERISA and state law.
- Represented hospital system against lawsuit alleging False Claims Act violations, defamation, and other tortious conduct.
- Obtained dismissal of lawsuit against three ERISA-governed health plans alleging breach of contract and related tort claims.
- Successfully opposed transfer of class action lawsuit against pharmacy benefit manager into multi-district litigation.
- Represented healthcare client in responding to civil investigative demand from the U.S. Department of Justice.
Other Complex Commercial Litigation
- Representing taxpayer in U.S. Tax Court challenging the government’s denial of the taxpayer’s theft-loss deduction.
- Defending sovereign government in arbitration against claims of expropriation of property.
- Member of trial team in $50 million, four-week trial in Florida state court involving claims of trade secret misappropriation and breach of contract.
- Obtained no damages award in AAA-arbitration seeking $2.5 million from business jet manufacturer.
- Defended consulting firm against actuarial malpractice claims brought under False Claims Act; obtained favorable settlement during trial.
- Obtained dismissal of lawsuit alleging breach of fiduciary duty and usurpation of corporate opportunity against high level financial services professional.
- Represented defense contractor in government investigation involving False Claims Act allegations.
News & Resources
Industries & Practices
- Banking & Financial Institutions
- Commercial Litigation
- Healthcare Litigation
- International Arbitration & Litigation
- Securities & Financial Services Litigation & Enforcement
- MSBA North Star Lawyer (2018)
- Named as a “Rising Star” by the National Immigrant Justice Center for pro bono representation of asylum seekers (2017)
- Received Albert E. Jenner, Jr. Pro Bono Award for exceptional commitment to pro bono representation (2016)
- Public Interest Law Initiative (PILI) Fellow at Northwestern University School of Law’s Bluhm Legal Clinic (2014)