Adam represents a wide range of health care providers, including physicians, dentists, mental health professionals, hospitals, and nursing facilities, as well as trade associations that serve health care providers. For facilities undergoing changes of ownership, Adam advises clients on issues related to licensing, Medicare and Medicaid enrollment, and credentialing with Medicaid managed care organizations and commercial insurers. Adam strives to provide strategic advice in a clear and concise manner to help providers navigate the maze of complex federal and state regulations with which they must comply.
Adam also advises clients regarding compliance with the State of Iowa’s Certificate of Need (CON) program and has appeared before the State Health Facilities Council. He also advises covered entities and business associates regarding HIPAA compliance.
- Represented a long-term-care provider in obtaining a certificate of need (CON) to establish a 60-bed skilled nursing facility as a joint venture with a religious order.
- Represented a critical access hospital in maintaining its CAH status following a change in the lessee and operator of the facility.
- Represented a long-term-care facility in obtaining a CON to expand its intermediate care facility for persons with mental illness (ICF-PMI) and its intermediate care facility for persons with intellectual disability (ICF-ID).
- Represented a long-term-care provider in obtaining a CON to establish a 40-bed skilled nursing facility as one component of a continuing care retirement community.
- Represented a mail order medical supply company in expanding its operations from a single state to a multi-state business.
- Represented the buyer of four long-term care facilities in completing all required regulatory filings.
- Represented a county-owned nursing facility in obtaining a CON to convert residential care facility (RCF) beds to nursing facility beds.
- Represented a hospital in obtaining a CON to establish a new cardiac catheterization program.
- Represented a physician practice group in responding to a HIPAA breach involving thousands of patient records.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
- “COVID-19’s Impact on Legal and Regulatory Practice Issues,” Presentation to the Iowa Psychological Association (co-presented with Katie Cownie and Mike Jenkins) (June 18, 2020).
- “HIPAA and the Attorney’s Duty of Confidentiality: The Intersection of Federal Health Care Privacy Law and the Rules of Professional Conduct,” Presentation to the Iowa Society of Healthcare Attorneys Spring Conference (co-presented with Mike Jenkins) (May 28, 2020).
- “COVID-19 Virtual Townhall,” Presentation to the Iowa Dental Association (co-presented with Katie Cownie) (April 6, 2020).
Industries & Practices
- Cooperative Law
- Food, Beverage & Agribusiness
- Healthcare Transactions & Regulations