MATT HELPS EMPLOYERS FIND EFFICIENT, COMMON-SENSE WAYS TO RESOLVE EMPLOYMENT ISSUES THAT FURTHERS THEIR BUSINESS OBJECTIVES.
Matt defends employers in Utah and throughout the west before state and federal courts and administrative agencies in disputes involving employment discrimination, harassment, wrongful termination, wage and hour, drug testing, leave, noncompetition, workplace torts, benefits and labor/occupational safety issues. In addition to litigation, Matt routinely advises employers on developing and implementing personnel policies and complying with state and federal employment laws.
- CHG v. Hayward DuPont, LLC, (Utah State Court): Obtained a temporary restraining order on behalf of CHG to enjoin former employees from improperly using trade secret information and soliciting its customers.
- Dickson v. Endurance International, Inc. (D. Utah): Represented employer in a race and age discrimination case. After conducting discovery and filing motion for summary judgment, plaintiff agreed to dismiss case with no consideration paid by employer.
- McLaughlin v. Cookietree, Inc. (Utah Ct. App): Represented Cookietree, Inc. in a protracted disputed with a former executive involving employment and corporate ownership issues. Obtained favorable rulings in arbitration on employment issues and in state court on corporate issues, which were upheld on appeal.
- Kepas v. eBay Inc. (10th Cir.): Obtained order from federal district court compelling arbitration in gender and age discrimination, harassment and retaliation case. Tenth Circuit affirmed district court’s decision after arbitrator awarded summary judgment on all claims.
- Pumphrey v. LifeScan, Inc. (D. Utah): Claims of age and gender discrimination, sexual harassment and retaliation dismissed on summary judgment.
- Ellington v. Murray Energy Corp. (D. Utah): Won summary judgment on religious discrimination, failure to accommodate and retaliation claims.
- Stien v. Marriott Ownership Resorts, Inc. (Utah Ct. App. 1996): Court of Appeals upheld district court’s dismissal of invasion of privacy claims based upon video produced by employees and shown at company function.
News & Resources
September 14, 2023
What Information is Off-Limits for Utah Employers Under the New Vaccine and Immunity Passport Restrictions Act?
April 13, 2023
February 2, 2023
News & Press Mentions
200 Dorsey Lawyers Selected for Inclusion in 2024 Best Lawyers in America, Lawyers of the Year, and Ones to Watch
August 17, 2023
July 11, 2023
Dorsey Partner Matthew Durham on Vax Mandate Suits Getting Lift from New Religious Accommodation Test
July 3, 2023
June 1, 2023
Dorsey Partner Matthew Durham on the Supreme Court Clearing Constitutional Challenges to Federal Agencies to Proceed in District Court
April 17, 2023
March 14, 2023
January 29, 2023
January 17, 2023
Events & Speaking Engagements
Webinar Playback: L&E Briefing Employment Litigation Update and Hot Topics on the Horizon for Utah Employers
October 11, 2023
February 22, 2023
Industries & Practices
- Energy & Natural Resources
- Labor & Employment
- Labor & Employment Guides
Professional & Civic
- Named by Best Lawyers as Employment Law – Management “Lawyer of the Year,” Salt Lake City, 2020; Litigation – Labor & Employment “Lawyer of the Year,” Salt Lake City, 2013 and 2018; and Labor Law – Management “Lawyer of the Year,” Salt Lake City, 2016
- Included in The Best Lawyers in America (currently: Employment Law – Management, Labor Law – Management, Litigation – Labor & Employment), 2009–2022
- Selected “Employment Lawyer of the Year” by the Utah State Bar Labor and Employment Section, 2013
- Included in Utah Business Legal Elite, 2011–2018, 2020–2021
- Selected as one of “America’s Leading Lawyers for Business” (Utah) by Chambers USA (currently: Labor & Employment), 2005–2021
- Listed in Mountain States Super Lawyers (Employment & Labor), 2010–2021
- AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated with Martindale-Hubbell
- Member, Labor and Employment Section, Utah State Bar and American Bar Association
- Member, Litigation Section, Utah State Bar and American Bar Association
- Board of Trustees, S.J. Quinney College of Law at the University of Utah, 2019
- Board of Governors, Salt Lake Chamber of Commerce, 2017–present
- Board member, Utah Center for Legal Inclusion, 2016–present
- Member, Holladay City Council
- Past President, The Road Home Board of Trustees