RACHEL COUNSELS CLIENTS IN THE CONSTRUCTION AND REAL ESTATE INDUSTRIES THROUGH ALL PHASES OF THEIR PROJECTS.
Rachel has substantial experience litigating complex construction, real estate, and financial disputes. She also regularly provides advice on contract negotiations, development, land use, planning, and dispute avoidance. Rachel has been involved in a wide range of public and private projects, including conventional and alternative energy generation, electrical transmission and distribution, water and wastewater infrastructure, deep tunnels, sports facilities, hotels and mixed-use resorts, and commercial buildings. She has worked with owners, developers, designers, contractors, subcontractors, and suppliers, affording her with unique insights into the objectives of all parties involved in a construction project.
Education & Admissions
Columbia Law School (J.D., 2014), Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar; Parker School Recognition of Achievement in International and Comparative Law; Columbia Human Rights Law Review, A Jailhouse Lawyer’s Manual, Articles Editor
University of Texas at Austin (B.A., History, 2010), cum laude; Departmental Honors; Dean’s Honor List; Bridging Disciplines Program Certificate in International Studies
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas, Honorable David C. Godbey, 2015-2016
- Secured favorable arbitration award after three-week hearing on behalf of EPC contractor against owner of 136 MW wind project in Washington.
- Won five-day bench trial on behalf of homeowners’ association securing access for a group of multi-million dollar properties on the Colorado Western Slope.
- Obtained complete dismissal of claims against special district bond underwriter involved in development of Colorado ski resort community.
- Represented general contractor in negotiation of favorable settlement of warranty claims against Asian supplier of equipment installed on 600 MW wind project in Colorado.
- Successfully settled trade secret dispute between developers of potential cogeneration power plant in Pennsylvania.
- Won arbitration award after five-day hearing on behalf of master association against claims by condominium homeowners’ association concerning mixed use development in Colorado ski resort community.
- Secured favorable settlement for general contractor against subcontractors involved in construction of college football stadium in Colorado.
- Regularly represent commercial landlords and tenants in negotiation of lease workouts and related disputes.
- Routinely advocate for developer and owner land use rights before governmental units.
*Representations occurred prior to joining Dorsey.
- Advocated for improved conditions in New Mexico prisons on behalf of a 6,000-member class of incarcerated persons at risk of COVID-19 infection, resulting in new rule-making initiative to address class actions in the context of habeas corpus claims.
- Co-authored human rights report regarding migrant workers’ rights in Nepal, leading to expansion of rights in decision by Supreme Court of Nepal.
- Represented disabled minor from non-English-speaking family in successful administrative appeal regarding alleged overpayment of Social Security benefits.
- Obtained correction of military records through successful appeal on behalf of veteran suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder and other service-connected disabilities.
- Secured a writ of habeas corpus from the Seventh Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals on behalf of a federal prisoner whose right to self-representation had been violated in state court.
Industries & Practices
Energy & Natural ResourcesExplore This Practice View client achievements related to this practice View resources related to this practice
Development & InfrastructureExplore This Practice View client achievements related to this practice View resources related to this practice
Cybersecurity, Privacy & Social MediaExplore This Practice View client achievements related to this practice View resources related to this practice
Government Contracts Counseling & LitigationExplore This Practice View client achievements related to this practice View resources related to this practice
International Arbitration & LitigationExplore This Practice View client achievements related to this practice View resources related to this practice
Public-Private PartnershipsExplore This Practice View client achievements related to this practice View resources related to this practice
- Commercial Litigation
- Construction & Design
- Construction Litigation
- Cybersecurity, Privacy & Social Media
- Development & Infrastructure
- Electric Power
- Energy & Natural Resources
- Government Contracts Counseling & Litigation
- International Arbitration & Litigation
- Oil & Gas
- Public-Private Partnerships
- Real Estate & Land Use
- Real Estate Litigation
Professional & Civic
- American Bar Association, Forum on Construction Law, Division 10 (Energy & Environment), Diversity Liaison
- Colorado Women’s Bar Association, Judicial Committee and Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee
- Associated General Contractors of Colorado, Future Leaders Forum