A partner in the Trial Group, some of Dan’s areas of concentration include, contract and intellectual contract disputes, insurance litigation, insurance coverage issues, and litigation, licensing, labeling and contracting in the agricultural biotechnology industry.
In March 2020, Dan has focused heavily on COVID-19 business risk mitigation issues involving contract performance, force majeure, cancellation and delay.
Education & Admissions
University of Michigan Law School (J.D., 1998), Selected Order of the Coif, Honors
Received a Darrow Scholarship - Michigan’s only merit scholarship
University of Wisconsin (B.S., Political Science and Behavioral Science and Law, 1995), with Honors Degrees, Dean's Prize, Senior Honors Thesis of Distinction, Jefferson Davis Constitutional Law Award, Truman Scholarship Nominee, Phi Beta Kappa
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- Both court and jury trial experience in multi-million dollar cases
- Complex arbitration proceedings for both respondents and claimants, obtaining, in one case, an award amounting to more than $35 million, and defending claims for liability totaling hundreds of millions of dollars
- Protecting contract rights, and enforcing the benefit of the bargain in numerous commercial contexts, including insurance coverage, licenses, purchase agreements
- Ending class action lawsuits on motion practice before trial, and in some cases even before discovery
- Leveraging pre-trial strategies and even pre-litigation investigation into multi-million dollar resolutions for cost-effective litigation.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
Events & Speaking Engagements
Industries & Practices
- Commercial Litigation
- Construction & Design
- Development & Infrastructure
- Food, Beverage & Agribusiness
- Insurance Law