THERESA HELPS CLIENTS MANAGE LITIGATION CHALLENGES THROUGH GAINING AN EARLY UNDERSTANDING OF THE BUSINESS’S RISK TOLERANCE, LEVERAGING HER INDUSTRY KNOWLEDGE, AND SEAMLESSLY LEADING TRIAL TEAMS ACROSS FUNCTIONS AND ORGANIZATIONS.
As Chair of the Minneapolis Trial Group, Theresa is known for her creative problem solving and her ability to make the uncertainties of litigation predictable for her clients. She also has a proven track record for leading trial teams in any litigated forum and obtaining total defense verdicts in jury and bench trials.
Education & Admissions
Syracuse University (B.M., Music Industry, 1998), summa cum laude
Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law - Yeshiva University (J.D., 2001), magna cum laude, Order of the Coif
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Supreme Court of the United States
- Lead trial counsel experience across various industries including manufacturing, energy, agribusiness, aviation, and technology.
- Complex arbitration and international proceedings for both claimants and respondents, defending claims for hundreds of millions of dollars, and obtaining more than $35 million in one matter.
- Thomas A. Berg et al v. Honeywell, Inc. (D. Alaska). Lead counsel for manufacturing defendant in federal False Claims Act qui tam suit; summary judgement for Honeywell on all claims; affirmed by the Ninth Circuit, July 2018.
- Bay Side Recycling et al v. SKB Environmental et al. (Henn. Co. Dist. Ct., MN). Lead trial counsel for solid waste disposal company in 3 1/2 week jury trial; jury verdict for defendants on all claims in May 2018.
- In re Medtronic Securities Litigation. Representing certain officers and company in PSLRA class action arising out of alleged failure to report adverse events.
- Robert Kulla v. Gregg W. Steinhafel et al. (U.S.D.C. Minn.). Lead counsel for individual corporate officer defendants in derivative class action for breach of fiduciary duty stemming from the 2013 Target Corp. data breach.
- Meda v. 3M Company, et al (S.D.N.Y.). Trial counsel for 3M Company, defending a breach of contract and fraud claim arising out of the divestiture of 3M’s European pharmaceutical business. Responsible for developing and implementing case strategy and management. Handled direct examinations of key witnesses at trial. Result: Complete defense judgment.
- Porton v. 3M Company. Bench trial in the Royal Courts of Justice, London, U.K., June-July 2011. Trial counsel in international commercial dispute involving breach of an earn out provision in an acquisition agreement. Responsible for key witness direct and cross examination preparation and assisting barristers in trial. Result: Claimant required to pay Company’s attorneys’ fees under UK fee-shifting rules.
- City of Rochester v. SMMPA. (Olmsted Co. Dist. Ct., MN), January 2009. Successfully defended a joint action agency in a contract dispute related to a 50-year Power Sales Contract brought by the agency’s largest member. Responsible for trial strategy, direct and cross examination of fact and expert witnesses, and all post-trial briefing. Result: Complete defense judgment.
- In re Synovis Life Technologies. Represented officers, directors and company in PSLRA class action dismissed with prejudice after motion to dismiss.
- Diaz v. Brian Warner a/k/a/Marilyn Manson. Jury trial in Federal District Court, Minnesota, September 2003. Defended entertainer in assault and battery claim brought by a security guard seeking damages in excess of $1 million. Result: Complete defense verdict.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
Events & Speaking Engagements
Industries & Practices
- Banking & Financial Institutions
- Class Action Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Construction Litigation
- Cooperative Law
- Creative Industries
- Energy & Natural Resources
- Food, Beverage & Agribusiness
- Government Enforcement & Corporate Investigations
- Securities & Financial Services Litigation & Enforcement
- Trusts & Estates Litigation
- Recognized as one of Benchmark Litigation's Under 40 Hot List, 2016-2018
- Listed as a Minnesota Super Lawyers Women’s Edition, 2020
- Listed as a Minnesota Super Lawyers, 2020
- Listed as a "Rising Star" by Minnesota Super Lawyers, 2006-2007, 2009-2016
- MSBA North Star Lawyer, 2013-2016
- Up and Coming Attorney, Minnesota Lawyer, 2009