Bryon’s practice is focused on product liability defense, IP litigation, construction defects, and commercial disputes. When they work with Bryon, clients receive the legal acumen of a very experienced litigator – he has tried cases to verdict in Utah, California, New Mexico, Washington, Idaho and Texas and has appeared in both federal and state courts in 29 states. Bryon's product liability experience includes wrongful death and personal injury due to defective design, manufacturing, or inadequate warnings. He serves as national counsel for automotive and healthcare companies. His IP litigation experience includes patent, trademark, trade dress, trade secrets, Lanham Act and copyright matters. His construction defect experience includes highway design, resort construction and material liens. Finally, Bryon has extensive commercial litigation experience including breach of contract, business torts, shareholder disputes, ERISA, anti-trust and others.
Education & Admissions
University of Utah, S. J. Quinney College of Law (J.D., 1988), Note and Comment Editor, Journal of Contemporary Law; Journal of Energy Law & Policy; William H. Leary Scholar; American Jurisprudence Award, Constitutional Law and Anti-Trust
University of Utah (B.S.), cum laude
- New York
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court of New York, Southern Division
- U.S. District Court of Utah
- U.S. District Court of Washington
- State of New York, Supreme Court
- State of Utah, Supreme Court
- State of Washington, Supreme Court
- U.S. Tax Court
- Successfully represented various medical device manufacturers in lawsuits brought by individuals claiming to have been injured by defective medical supplies, products and devices.
- Successfully represented various pharmaceutical companies in lawsuits brought by individuals claiming to have been injured from dangerous prescription medications.
- Successfully represented various manufacturers and retailers in Lanham Act, false advertising, and unfair trade practices disputes pertaining to product efficacy claims, labeling claims, and marketing practices.
- Successfully represented various medical providers in multiple reimbursement actions and benefit disputes involving UCR charges, single patient agreements, plan benefits determinations, medical necessity claims, and breach of provider services contracts.
- Successfully represented automotive manufacturers and component part suppliers in voluntary recall campaigns overseen by NHTSA and Transport Canada.
- Successfully represented an international software development company in injunctive proceedings and contract actions against five European businesses valued in excess of $10 million.
- Secured jury verdicts in favor of automotive manufacturers and recreational vehicle manufacturers in product liability cases involving claims of defective restraints, tires, door latch systems, roofs, and stability and handling.
- Successfully represented companies, directors and officers in claims brought by current and former shareholders for securities fraud, breach of fiduciary duties, theft of corporate opportunities, and conflicts of interest.
- Successfully represented companies accused of patent, copyright and trademark infringement.
- Successfully represented companies sued for construction defects including developers, owners and contractors of highway, resorts and apartment complexes.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
- Emerging Companies: From Domestic Establishment to International Expansion, Cardozo Law School (March 2016)
- Spoliation of Evidence, Products Liability Advisory Council, PLAC 2014 Fall Conference (October 2014)
- Trial Academy, Utah State Bar (May 2013)
- Strategies for Jury Selection, American College of Trial Lawyers (March 2013)
- Misdiagnosis of Brain Injury, Utah Defense Legal Association (May 2013)
- Intellectual Property Issues, Tri-State Federal Bar Association (May 2008)
- Impact of KSR, Tri-State Federal Bar Convention (Fall 2007)
Industries & Practices
- Banking & Financial Institutions
- Class Action Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Construction Litigation
- Food, Beverage & Agribusiness
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Products Liability
Professional & Civic
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Fellow and current Vice-Chair of State Committee
- Former member of the Product Liability Advisory Council through November 2016
- International Association of Defense Counsel, Member
- Utah Defense Lawyers Association, Member
- State Bar of Utah
- Character & Fitness Committee, Member and Past Chair
- New York State Bar Association, Member
- New York City Bar Association - Resident Member
- American Inns of Court, Master and Past President
- Federal Bar Association, Member
- Tri-State Federal Bar Association & Intellectual Property Group, Member
- Chair of the University of Utah Alumni Debate Program
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America©, Personal Injury Litigation (Defendants), Product Liability Litigation (Defendants), 1997-2021
- Named one of "America's Leading Business Lawyers," by Chambers USA (Litigation: General Commercial), 2009-2015, 2017-2020
- Listed as a New York Super Lawyer, 2016-2020
- Listed as a Salt Lake City Super Lawyer, 2009-2014, 2019-2020
- Listed as a Mountain States Super Lawyer, 2009-2014, 2019-2020
- Utah Business Elite: Business Litigation (2009-2011), Civil Litigation (2012, 2014-2015, 2018), Utah Business Magazine
- Recognized as a "Local Litigation Star – Utah" by Benchmark Litigation, 2013-2019 and 2021