The North America section of the Digest discusses recent resolutions with the SEC regarding violations of the FCPA accounting provisions, including:
- Israeli-based Elbit Imaging, Inc. resolved violations stemming from its payment to third-parties despite a lack of documentation identifying services provided; and
- Canadian goldmining company Kinross Gold Corporation agreed to a settlement with the SEC after failing to ensure its newly acquired subsidiaries had proper internal controls that were effectively implemented and appropriate FCPA compliance procedures.
In the Europe section of the Digest you’ll find discussion regarding:
- Three former Tesco executives are facing retrial by the Serious Fraud Office; and
- French courts are forcing Airbus to pay its business partner intermediaries, despite Airbus’ insistence that the business partners were corrupt.
The Digest also looks at recent developments in Asia and the Middle East. These stories include:
- Corruption investigations into Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu continue to move forward;
- China’s efforts to expand its anti-corruption campaign overseas; and
- Additional former government officials will face charges related to the PetroVietnam scandal.
Sections on Latin America and Africa discuss unfolding events such as:
- Martin Vizcarra sworn in as the new Peruvian president after former President Kuczynski steps down amid allegations of vote-buying and money laundering; and
- Former South African president Jacob Zuma will face corruption and fraud charges related to a multibillion-dollar arms deal from the 1990s.
We hope you find this information useful. To view this issue, click here.
Corruption issues are also addressed on the Computer Fraud website at http://computerfraud.us/ and SEC Actions blog at www.secactions.com. To subscribe to future editions of the Anti-Corruption Digest, click here.