INDUSTRIES & PRACTICES
Dorsey has served clients in the healthcare industry since the 1940s, with clients ranging from the largest healthcare payer in the United States, to one of the world’s most recognizable medical practices, to companies and investors at the forefront of medical innovation. Medical technology companies rely on Dorsey because our attorneys understand the legal and technical issues crucial to success in this rapidly changing industry. Our wide range of expertise and experience, which includes attorneys with scientific/engineering degrees and industry backgrounds, including Ph.D.’s, provides a framework for our clients' success.
Focus on Medical Technology:
- AI/Machine Learning/Bioinformatics
- Superelastic alloys
- Shape memory alloys
- Cardiovascular Devices
- Cardiac Rhythm Management
- Electrophysiology Mapping
- Structural Heart
- Drug delivery
- Digital Health and Electronic Health Records
- Imaging, including MR/Ultrasound/OCT
- Implant and tissue sterilization
- Minimally invasive access/surgical systems
- Microfluidics/Lab-on-a-chip devices
- Neurointerventional systems
- Ophthalmology, including IOLs and stents
- Osteobiologic materials and implants
- Wound care
- Patent prosecution, opinions, and litigation support for one of the world’s largest medical device companies in the external and invasive catheter technology area.
- Patent prosecution, opinions, and litigation support for medical device companies in the cardiovascular and cardiology device technology area.
- Patent prosecution and opinions for a fortune 100 medical device company in the puncture closure technology area.
- Patent prosecution and opinions related to injection and infusion devices, osteobiologics and orthobiologics, endovascular, urology, dermatology, otolaryngology (ENT), pulmonology, spine, orthopedics, cardiology, neurology, ophthalmology, gastroenterology, women’s health, robotic surgery, obesity, orthodontics, orthopedics, including sensing and ablating with RF and lasers.
- Represent numerous start-up medical device companies in the U.S. and abroad, such as companies in the arterial and venous pump technology area.
- Developing and executing prosecution strategies—not only to protect a client's products, but also to analyze those of its competitors—to help ensure that the client realizes value from its intellectual property assets
- Preparing and negotiating licenses, assessing the licensing value of competitors' patents, and guiding the client in the decision to license.
- Monitoring the field to know when a client needs a clearance opinion or has a potential interference issue. These efforts can help direct the client in research and development areas that minimize patent obstacles.
- Providing counsel on business-related matters, including antitrust and competition issues, and FDA regulatory issues.
- Advising on potential litigation strategies and, when necessary, deploying experienced trial teams.
- Performed patent due diligence for medtech and life science venture funds.
Industries & Practices
Healthcare & Life SciencesExplore This Practice View client achievements related to this practice View resources related to this practice
- Healthcare & Life Sciences
Client Alerts/eUpdates/Alerts Broad New Washington Privacy Law Requires Immediate Compliance Action
May 24, 2023
Blogs Broad New Washington Privacy Law Requires Immediate Compliance Action
May 24, 2023
Blogs HHS OCR Settles HIPAA Investigation with Business Associate for $350,000
May 19, 2023