KEEPING YOUR MEDICINES AND MEDICAL DEVICES OUT OF THE REACH OF YOUR COMPETITORS.
Combining business perspectives, technical expertise and industry experience, the attorneys and agents in our Biotech Patent Group provide advice and assistance to national laboratories, research institutes, and universities, as well as developers of new technology from start-ups to global corporations, in the field of biotechnology innovation.
Our team members, most of whom hold advanced degrees and have relevant industry experience, regularly help clients develop their patent portfolios in the agribusiness, biotechnology, chemistry, clean technology, materials science, medical device, nanotechnology and pharmaceutical fields. We have experience in a wide range of specialties, including animal and human health products, diagnostics, food technology and nutraceuticals, genetic engineering, gene therapy, genomics, immunology, molecular biology, neuroscience, microbiology, pharmaceuticals, biologicals and biosimilars, oncology, stem cell biology, and virology, among others.
Our clients regularly count on us for assistance with every stage of intellectual property development and management, including:
- Development and strategic management of domestic and international patent portfolios
- Patent drafting and prosecution
- Post-grant proceedings including derivation proceedings, inter partes review, post-grant review, ex parte reexamination and supplemental examination
- Commercial contracts and licensing
- Freedom-to-operate searching and advice
- Analysis and strategic management of client portfolios, including freedom-to-operate, non-infringement, validity and patentability opinions
- Analysis of competitor and third party patent positions
- Monitoring competitor activity
- Intellectual property commercialization and technology transfer
- Company and investor intellectual property due diligence
Many of our lawyers hold Ph.D.s and master's degrees, including advanced degrees in cellular and molecular biology, biomedical engineering, neuroscience, chemistry and pharmacology.
We work with clients of all sizes from the earliest stages of their research and development efforts and design patent portfolios that serve their business needs. Our clients value our ability to understand their technology as well as their business and commercial needs.
Supporting our Biotech Patent Group are Dorsey’s Corporate and Intellectual Property Litigation practices. We work closely with them to advise our clients on complex corporate, licensing and patent enforcement issues as they arise. We also work with our Corporate group to evaluate patent portfolios in transactions and investments.
We approach intellectual property as a part of a larger business strategy. By staying attuned to legal developments, we help our clients navigate changes in the intellectual property landscape and remain at the forefront of the biotechnology industry.
Our group works closely with our Intellectual Property Litigation team to help defend and enforce the rights of our clients, including the following matters:
- Medeva Pharmaceuticals, Inc. v. Morton Grove Pharmaceuticals (N.D. Ill.) Won a favorable settlement (stipulated injunctive relief) as lead counsel for pharmaceutical manufacturer in action against generic drug manufacturer for alleged patent infringement.
- Nisus Corporation v. Perma-Chink, Inc. (E.D. Tenn.) Represented defendant in patent infringement action involving the chemical composition of wood pesticide products.
- University of Nebraska v. BASF and Syngenta Crop Protection, Inc. (D. Neb.) Represented defendant Syngenta in license and patent dispute regarding pesticide-resistant plants and technology.
Industries & Practices
- Antitrust & Competition Law
- Emerging Companies
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Patent Prosecution, Portfolio Strategy & Management
- Private Equity
- Trademark, Copyright, Advertising & Brand Management