GUANXI ZHENG’S PRACTICE COVERS A WIDE-RANGE OF CORPORATE TRANSACTIONAL WORK INCLUDING M&A, JOINT VENTURES, TECHNOLOGY LICENSING, CORPORATE FINANCE AND STRUCTURED ACQUISITION OF NON-PERFORMING LOANS.
Guanxi is Of Counsel in the Firm’s Corporate Group. Previously, he was a Director, Vice President and General Counsel at DAC Financial Management (China) Ltd., in Hong Kong and Beijing, where he was responsible for due diligence, contract negotiations and portfolio management for the private equity fund’s investments all across China, including work-out of distressed loans purchased in packages from large state-owned enterprises.
Education & Admissions
University of Alberta Law School (LL.B., 1993)
University of Alberta Law School (LL.M., 1992)
Vrije Universiteit Brussel (LL.M., 1987)
Southwest Law School (LL.B., 1984)
- Hong Kong
- Registered Foreign Legal Consultant in Washington
- Fluent in Chinese (Mandarin/Cantonese) and English
- Represented US investors in structuring and acquiring Non-performing loan assets (with an aggregate face value of over RMB 8 billion) from China state-owned Asset Management Companies.
- Represented a number of major industrial players from the US in acquiring state-owned and private business in China in different sectors.
- Represented a major international retailer in setting up joint ventures and WOFEs in China, including licensing and other IP issues.
- Represented a major international energy company in a US$3.5 billion nuclear power plant project in China.
- Represented a G-7 country export credit agency in financing three Gorges project, other power projects in China, and mixed concession and commercial loans to China.
- Represented a real estate developer in undertaking a major real estate development project in Shanghai.
- Represented oil and gas companies in undertaking projects in China.
- Represented an export-financing company and other commercial banks in China related debt financing transactions.
- Represented various multinational companies in undertaking and operating direct investment projects in China in sectors such as electronics, coating, cement, boiler manufacturing, cellular phone production, freight forwarding, civilian airplane engine manufacturing, construction, civilian pilot training, information industry, malting, and real estate development.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
Events & Speaking Engagements
Industries & Practices
- Banking & Financial Institutions
- Capital Markets
- Closely Held Businesses
- Emerging Companies
- Energy & Natural Resources
- Food, Beverage & Agribusiness
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Private Equity
Professional & Civic
- Barrister and Solicitor, the Law Society of Alberta, Canada, 1994.
- Solicitor, the High Court of Hong Kong SAR, 1998.
Murdoch University (Australia) (Hong Kong HR Education Group, MBA program).
- Lecturer (part time), September 1998 - 2001. Taught "international business law".
- Lecturer (part time), July 1997- October 1998. Taught "law for Hong Kong banking".
- Lecturer, 1984 – 1986. Taught and conducted research on international law. Practiced PRC law.