Janet has represented debtors, creditors, committees, secured lenders, debtor-in-possession financiers and acquirers in substantial chapter 11 cases and out-of-court restructurings. She also has significant experience in bankruptcy litigation, retail insolvencies, and bankruptcy aspects of asset-backed and mortgage-backed financings. In addition, she has assisted structuring corporate transactions to minimize insolvency risks.
Janet is a frequent speaker and writer on bankruptcy and financial restructuring law topics. She has lectured at ABA, American Bankruptcy Institute and New York City bar programs. She has written articles on the intersection of bankruptcy and trademarks, indentures and real estate, among other topics.
Education & Admissions
University of Pennsylvania Law School (J.D., 1989)
University of Pennsylvania (B.A., 1986), cum laude
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- Represented Perry Capital in its investment in preferred stock of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.
- Represented independent consultants in 3 subprime mortgage foreclosure reviews pursuant to consent orders with the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency and the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System.
- Represented owner and operator of non-theme park Disney Stores in chapter 11 case regarding the sale of substantially all of its assets to The Walt Disney Company.
- Represented FINOVA and its affiliates, financial services companies, in their chapter 11 cases, which restructured more than US$10 billion of debt in a stand-alone plan, including obtaining a new US$600 million loan to the reorganized debtor from Warren Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway.
- Represented BCBG Max Azria in its successful bid for substantially all of the assets of G+G Retail, Inc. out of chapter 11 case.
- Represented Calyon (k/n/a Crédit Agricole) in US$11 billion restructuring of CIFG, a monoline insurer.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
Events & Speaking Engagements
Industries & Practices
- Bankruptcy & Financial Restructuring
- Consumer Financial Services
- Lending Transactions
- Mortgage Banking