TOM ADVISES CLIENTS ON A VARIETY OF TAX MATTERS.
Tom is of counsel in Dorsey’s Tax and Public Finance groups, and he is also a member of Dorsey’s Public-Private Partnerships industry group. He provides tax advice with respect to state and local debt financing, including secondary market transactions and securitizations; advises governmental and tax-exempt organizations on tax and corporate matters; handles IRS tax audits and controversies; and works on a variety of other tax matters.
Tom also serves as Senior Vice President of the Dorsey & Whitney Trust Company LLC, and he served as Dorsey’s General Counsel from 1993 to 2001. Prior to joining Dorsey, he was Law Clerk to the Hon. Bailey Aldrich, United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit.
- Tom Vander Molen advises issuers, underwriters, trustees, lenders, and conduit borrowers in municipal bond transactions; represents public corporations, publicly supported charities, private foundations, and other nonprofit organizations; represents taxpayers in obtaining rulings, determination letters, and closing agreements from the Internal Revenue Service and the Minnesota Department of Revenue; represents taxpayers in administrative controversies and litigation; represents nonprofit corporations before state attorneys general; provides tax advice in a variety of structured financings; advises regulated investment companies on tax matters; and advises charities and individuals on charitable giving.
- Represented Deluxe Corporation in Deluxe Corp. v U.S., 885 F2d 848 (Fed Cir.1989).
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
Events & Speaking Engagements
Industries & Practices
- Banking & Financial Institutions
- Development & Infrastructure
- Indian & Alaska Native
- Non-Profit & Tax Exempt Organizations
- Public Finance
- Public-Private Partnerships
Professional & Civic
- Chair, Tax Law Committee, National Association of Bond Lawyers
- Member, Nominating Committee, National Association of Bond Lawyers, 2017
- Member, Steering Committee, Bond Attorneys' Workshop, 2007-2009, 2015-2017
- Member, Nonprofits Committee, Minnesota State Bar Association
- Exempt Organizations Coordinator, Central Mountain Area TE/GE Council, 2003-2005
- Regular panelist and moderator for Tax & Securities Law Institutes and Bond Attorneys’ Workshops
- Provides pro bono legal services to a variety of charitable organizations
- Named "Minneapolis Lawyer of the Year" in Non-Profit/Charities Law by Best Lawyers©, 2018
- Named "Minneapolis Lawyer of the Year" in Public Finance Law by Best Lawyers©, 2012 and 2016
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America© for Public Finance Law and Non-Profit/Charities Law, 2008-2019
- MSBA North Star Lawyer, 2012-2017
- Fellow, American College of Bond Counsel