Ivy advises on all aspects of IP, including trademark prosecution and enforcement, patent protection and enforcement strategies, licensing and franchising agreements, domain name disputes, company name disputes, brand protection, anti-counterfeiting, copyright piracy action, and IP litigation assistance in Greater China. Ivy is also experienced in the protection of confidential information, and advising on data protection and personal data privacy issues.
Ivy practised IP law as a barrister and solicitor at a full-service international law firm with a prominent IP practice in Ottawa, Canada, where she obtained extensive patent litigation experience and trademark litigation experience. Ivy has appeared as counsel before the Federal Court in a complex pharmaceutical patent infringement and impeachment trial. Ivy is experienced with the drug approval process in Canada and proceedings under the Patented Medicine (Notice of Compliance) Regulations.
Education & Admissions
Osgoode Hall Law School, Toronto, Canada (J.D., 2013)
University of British Columbia (Ph.D., Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, 2010)
University of British Columbia (B.Sc., (Hons.), 2005), First Class Honors in Biochemistry, Minor in Commerce
- Registered Foreign Lawyer, Hong Kong
- English, Mandarin and Cantonese
- Regularly act for multinational clients in ICANN and CNNIC domain name disputes before the Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre
- Regularly act for multinational clients in a number of company name complaints and striking off actions against shadow companies in Hong Kong
- Regularly draft and negotiate IP-related agreements including software license agreements, technology transfer agreements, non-disclosure agreements, trademark license agreements and IP assignment agreements
- Advised a Fortune 500 company on data protection and personal data privacy issues in relation to its employees
- Represented the world’s largest integrated non-profit medical group in trademark and copyright infringement cases; counseled them on trademark licensing issues
- Advised a U.S. manufacturer of personal and oral health care products on packaging and labelling issues in China; acted for them in various domain name disputes before the Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre; counseled them on trademark prosecution issues
- Represented the world’s largest travel luggage company in a civil action in Hong Kong in a copyright infringement suit
- Advised a U.S. food manufacturer on food labeling requirement in Hong Kong
- Advised a U.S. biotechnology company on pharmaceutical product registration and advertising matters in Hong Kong
- Advised one of the largest conglomerate and Fortune 500 company on trademark infringement and passing off issues in Hong Kong and China; regularly act for them in a number of company name disputes
- Counselled a high end lifestyle Chinese restaurant chain based in Hong Kong with respect to its global franchising activities, including preparing franchise agreements, trademark license agreements and consulting agreements, and managing its IP portfolio
- Regularly perform IP due diligence for the investment and acquisition of companies, including a private equity fund’s investment in mobile app and advising them on IP issues in the ensuing acquisition
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
- Towle R*, Tsui IF*, Zhu Y, MacLellan S, Poh CF, Garnis C. (2014) Recurring DNA copy number gain at chromosome 9p13 plays a role in the activation of multiple candidate oncogenes in progressing oral premalignant lesions. Cancer Med. 3(5): 1170-1184. *Co-first authorship.
- Gibb EA, Enfield K, Tsui IF, Chari R, Lam S, Alvarez CE, Lam WL. (2011) Deciphering squamous cell carcinoma using multi-dimensional genomic approaches. Journal of Skin Cancer doi: 10.1155/2011/541405.
- Tsui IF†, Garnis C. (2010) Integrative molecular characterization of head and neck cancer cell model genomes. Head Neck. 32(9): 1143-60. †Corresponding author.
- Tsui IF†, Garnis C, Poh CF. (2009) A dynamic oral cancer field – unraveling the underlying biology and its clinical implication. American Journal of Surgical Pathology. 33(11): 1732-8. †Corresponding author.
- Tsui IF†, Poh CF, Garnis C, Rosin MP, Zhang L, Lam WL. (2009) Multiple pathways in the FGF signaling network are frequently deregulated by gene amplification in oral dysplasias. International Journal of Cancer. 125(9): 2219-28. †Corresponding author.
- Tsui IF†, Rosin MP, Zhang L, Ng RL, Lam WL. (2008) Multiple aberrations of chromosome 3p detected in oral premalignant lesions. Cancer Prevention Research. 1(6): 424-9. †Corresponding author.
- Tsui IF†, Chari R, Buys THP, Lam WL. (2007) Public databases and software for the pathway analysis of cancer genomes. Cancer Informatics. 3: 379-397. †Corresponding author.
- Iqbal J, Kucuk C, deLeeuw RJ, Srivastava G, Tam W, Geng H, Klinkebiel D, Christman JK, Patel K, Cao K, Shen L, Dybkaer K, Tsui IF, Ali H, Shimizu N, Au W, Lam WL, Chan WC. (2009) Genomic analyses reveal global functional alterations that promote tumor growth and novel tumor suppressor genes in natural killer-cell malignancies. Leukemia. 23(6):1139-51.
- Buys TPH, Wilson IM, Coe BP, Lee EHL, Kennett JY, Lockwood WW, Tsui IF, Shadeo A, Chari R, Garnis C, Lam WL. (2007) Detailed comparisons of cancer genomes. In Comparative Genomics: Fundamental and Applied Perspectives. James R. Brown (ed.) CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Publisher. P. 245-261.
- "DNA amplification occurs in oral dysplasias and disrupts multiple genes in one signaling network", 10th Annual Pathology Day, UBC, BC, May 27, 09.
- “Identification of genetic signatures in oral premalignant lesions: Development of a diagnostic microarray for clinical testing of cancer risks in early oral lesion", World Microarray Congress, Vancouver, BC, June 28, 08.
- "Molecular genetics of head and neck", 2007 Medical Oncology Residents Orientation, UBC, BC, July 5, 07.
- "Detection of high-level copy number changes in oral lesions suggests genomic instability at the premalignant stage", 98th Annual American Association for Cancer Research (AACR), Los Angeles, CA, April 1, 07.
- “Segmental changes in chromosome arm 3p are potential prognostic and diagnostic markers in oral premalignant lesions", 5th Annual AACR Frontiers in Cancer Prevention Research, Boston, MA, Nov 14, 06.
- “High-throughput microarray CGH detection of genetic alterations in oral premalignant lesions", BioContact Symposium, Quebec City, QC, October 5, 2006.
- "Genomic profiling to prevent oral squamous cell carcinoma", CIHR Molecular Pathology Training Program Array CGH Workshop 2006, Vancouver, BC, January 18, 2006.
Industries & Practices
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Patent Prosecution, Portfolio Strategy & Management
- Trademark, Copyright, Advertising & Brand Management
- Doctoral Research Awards, Canadian Institute of Health Research (2007-2010)
- Senior Graduate Studentship, Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research (2008-2011)
- Roman M. Babicki Fellowship in Medical Research (2006-2007)
- Scholar-in-Training Award, American Association for Cancer Research (AACR) (2009)
- Scholar-in-Training Award, AACR Frontiers in Cancer Prevention Research (2007)
- Scholar-in-Training Award, AACR Frontiers in Cancer Prevention Research (2006)
- Next Generation Award Silver Medal, BioContact Symposium (2006)