Dave Tseng loves solving business problems involving technology and intellectual property. Dave represents clients in wide-ranging intellectual property matters, with a focus on patent litigation and IP counseling. For over a decade he has represented clients in venues such as the Federal Courts in California, Texas, Delaware, Washington and the International Trade Commission.
Dave’s cases involve a variety of technologies, such as distributed antenna systems, LCDs, online health monitoring systems, plastic molding techniques, internet lead generation, audio/video encoding circuits, flash memory devices, web-based gaming, nutritional supplement manufacturing processes, consumer mechanical devices, telecommunications standards (3G/UMTS) as well as mobile handsets and handset operations.
Dave is the Chair of the International Interest Group for the IP Section of the California Lawyers Association. He is a frequent writer and presenter on IP topics. He is also active in pro bono matters, having worked on matters involving IP counseling for startups, applications for asylum, civil rights petitions relating to government surveillance orders, and hiring practices and background checks.
Education & Admissions
University of Washington (LL.M., Intellectual Property Law and Policy, 2013)
Rutgers University (J.D., 2006), Marshall Brennan Fellow
University of Michigan (B.S., Computer Engineering, 2002)
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- MiiCs v. Toshiba (D. Del.) Represented Toshiba defendants in a patent infringement litigation involving LCD displays in consumer electronics. Obtained favorable rulings on summary judgment motions.
- Straight Path v. Toshiba (E.D. Va.) Represented Toshiba defendants in a patent litigation involving networking features on consumer electronic devices. Developed invalidity and claim construction positions before complaint was withdrawn.
- The Pokémon Company International v. Tee Turtle LLC (W.D. Wa.) Represented defendant in a copyright infringement action involving the alleged use of Pokémon characters on apparel. Handled daily case management leading to mediation and settlement.
- In re Certain Load Supporting Systems (337-TA-1095) Represented respondents in an ITC investigation involving load bearing mats for construction use. Coordinated discovery and legal research before settlement.
- In re Certain Point-to-Point (337-TA-892) ITC enforcement action. Represent respondent Toshiba against Straight Path IP Group.
- In re Certain Coenzyme Q10 (337-TA-790) ITC enforcement action. Successfully defended patents against validity challenge at trial for Complainant.
- Spansion LLC v. Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. (D. Del) Represented plaintiff in patent infringement involving Flash memory patents.
- Interactive Television Co., LLC v. Fox Entertainment Group, Inc. (S.D. N.Y.) Represented defendant in patent infringement lawsuit relating to interactive software technology.
- MobileMedia Ideas LLC v. HTC America. (E.D. Tex.) Represented defendant in a patent action allegedly relating to various aspects of handset technology.
- Datascape, Inc. v. Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications Inc. & Kyocera Wireless Corp. (N.D. Ga.) Represented defendant cell phone makers in a patent infringement action involving six patents relating to Internet wireless devices.
- MediaTek, Inc. v. Sanyo Elec. Co., Ltd. (E.D. Tex.) Represented plaintiff in a patent infringement action concerning integrated chipset solutions for compressing video and audio data in various consumer electronics products.
- Autobytel, Inc. v. Dealix Corp. (E.D. Tex.) Represented plaintiff in a patent infringement action concerning an e-commerce patent for the sale of automobiles.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
Industries & Practices
- Intellectual Property Litigation