David is the former Co-Chair of the Dorsey Food and Agriculture Industry Group. His wide-ranging practice includes, but is not limited to, complex business litigation, and cases involving patents and other intellectual property. He has tried dozens of cases to verdict in front of juries in Iowa, Florida, and South Dakota.
He is proactive, and client oriented. He will not hesitate to prepare and try a case to verdict, but will pursue settlement when that is in his client's best interests. Unlike many civil litigators, David’s focus is on solving problems, not grinding out discovery and taking an endless number of depositions. He works with clients to identify clear goals in litigation, and to then implement specific plans to reach those particular goals.
Among the many accolades David has received in his career, he is one of only nine Iowa lawyers to be ranked in “Band 1” General Commercial Litigation by Chambers and Partners, and is the youngest lawyer in that category. Chambers has noted that David receives praise for his "professionalism and deep knowledge" and notes that “nothing is more important to him than his clients."
Some examples of David’s recent work are the following:
- Successfully defended the officers and directors of a federally chartered bank against claims brought by the FDIC for breach of fiduciary duty, and against their insurance company seeking a declaratory judgment that coverage did not exist for those claims.
- Aggressively litigated several patent infringement claims seeking compensation for the improper use of innovative food safety technology. Each of the cases were resolved on terms favorable to his client.
- Resolved a claim brought by a former member of an accounting firm for an amount substantially less than what the firm had offered to settle prior to his engagement in the matter.
- Obtained a seven figure judgment after a trial to the court on behalf of a minority shareholder in a closely held company who had been improperly “squeezed out” of his position by a former partner (Polk County, Iowa).
- Settled a claim for breach of contract, misappropriation of trade secrets, and copyright infringement, seeking over one hundred million dollars on the eve of trial for less than the costs of trial (S.D. Iowa).
- Obtained a seven figure settlement from one defendant, thereafter obtaining a seven figure verdict against another defendant in a complex construction / engineering malpractice matter (Woodbury County, Iowa).
- Obtained a directed verdict on some claims, followed by a jury verdict on all remaining claims in a case against a developer for fraud and creation of a nuisance relative to sales of condominiums in Florida (West Palm Beach, Florida, State Court).
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
Events & Speaking Engagements
Industries & Practices
- Class Action Litigation
- Closely Held Businesses
- Commercial Litigation
- Construction Litigation
- Electronic Discovery
- Food, Beverage & Agribusiness
- Healthcare Litigation
- Insurance Law
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- LegalMine Document Review Solutions
- Products Liability
- Trademark, Copyright & Advertising
- Trusts & Estates Litigation
- Contributed more than 100 Challenge pro bono hours, 2020
- Named one of “America’s Leading Business Lawyers” (Band 1) by Chambers USA (Litigation: General Commercial), 2005-2020
- Top Tier lawyer, recommended by The Legal 500
- Recognized as a "Local Litigation Star – Iowa" by Benchmark Litigation, 2013-2019 and 2021
- Rated AV Preeminent® by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America© (Commercial Litigation), 2007-2021
- Recognized as an “IP Star” in 2013-2021 by Managing Intellectual Property Handbook
- Listed in Great Plains Super Lawyers, 2007 and 2009-2020
- Recognized by Global Law Experts as “Commercial Law Firm of the Year in Iowa – 2016”