Stefan is an attorney in the firm’s Trial Group, focusing on intellectual property litigation. He recently led a team of Dorsey attorneys to victory in a complex, bet-the-company patent litigation in which a Dallas jury awarded his client—an innovative start-up sued by the incumbent player in the industry—over $9 million on its counterclaims of patent infringement.
In addition to high-stakes trial work, Stefan has significant experience counseling clients in disputes over license agreements, software development agreements, patents, trademarks, and trade secrets. Stefan has litigated in federal and state courts throughout the United States, as well as before the International Trade Commission and Patent Trial and Appeal Board.
Stefan is also committed to pro bono work. In 2017, Stefan represented a state inmate in an excessive force case under the 8th Amendment in the Northern District of California, and obtained a rare jury verdict awarding plaintiff compensatory and punitive damages for injuries suffered while he was incarcerated. Stefan has also represented pro bono clients in administrative hearings, and on appeal before the Ninth Circuit and D.C. Circuit.
On top of his regular practice, Stefan enjoys thinking and writing about developments in the law, and is the co-editor and regular contributor to Dorsey’s award-winning TheTMCA.com blog. He is also a former co-host of the podcast This Week in Law.
Stefan is a creative and collaborative attorney dedicated to thoroughly understanding his clients’ needs, and developing litigation strategies that advance them.
- Represented defendant at trial in a multi-patent litigation between competitors in which both sides asserted their patents, and obtained a favorable jury verdict in excess of $9 million.
- Represented defendant in trademark infringement and counterfeiting dispute involving certification marks in the Eastern District of Washington, and obtained a victory for his client when plaintiff dismissed its lawsuit after mediation.
- Represented grocery store chain in trademark infringement dispute in the Central District of California involving grey market goods, resulting in a favorable settlement agreement.
- Represented private security company in an international arbitration involving breach of contract and misappropriation of trade secrets, and obtained favorable settlement terms for plaintiff.
- Represented health care provider in misappropriation of trade secrets and breach of contract action in the Eastern District of Washington, and obtained temporary restraining order followed by stipulated protective order enjoining further misappropriation.
- Represented plaintiff in an excessive force case under the 8th Amendment in the Northern District of California, and obtained rare jury verdict awarding plaintiff compensatory and punitive damages.
- Represented major technology company in patent litigation in the Eastern District of Texas and Western District of Washington.
- Represented defendant in trade secrets and breach of contract dispute in the Northern District of California and before American Arbitration Association.
- Represented Silicon Valley-based hardware design company in dispute with software developer.
- Represented defendants in related patent infringement, breach of contract and tort actions in District of Delaware.
- Represented numerous clients in trade secrets matters and disputes in Utah, New York, California, South Carolina, and Texas.
- Represented plaintiff in patent infringement suit in District of Delaware.
- Represented plaintiff in patent infringement suit before International Trade Commission.
- Represented defendant in trade secrets dispute in Texas state court and JAMS arbitration.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
Events & Speaking Engagements
- “Patent Litigation: Time and Money,” September 2019, Fasken Video Game Industry Forum
- "Licensing and Litigation Pitfalls in the U.S. Videogame Industry… and How to Avoid Them," December 2018, Montreal, hosted by Fasken
Industries & Practices
- Commercial Litigation
- Intellectual Property
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Trademark, Copyright & Advertising