Alex has experience advising and supporting organizations in the health industry, including providers, payors, and drug and medical device clients. Particular areas of expertise include state and federal licensing and regulatory issues (including Stark Law, Anti-Kickback Statute, Anti-Markup Rule, and HIPAA), drafting and negotiating agreements, and supporting corporate transactions.
Alex also advises nonprofit organizations in initial formation, applying for tax-exempt status, and understanding IRS regulations, and also supports and advises these clients in connection with general operational issues.
- Advised in connection with Optum acquisition of DaVita Medical Group, one of the nation’s leading independent medical groups, from DaVita Inc., including practices in California, Colorado, Florida, New Mexico and Washington.
- Advised in connection with acquisition of multi-specialty provider organization in Washington.
- Advised in connection with acquisition of organization owning a wellness app.
- Advised health system in connection with acquisition of a previously jointly owned health insurer.
- Advised in connection with acquisitions of multiple California-based independent practice associations.
- Advised in connection with acquisition of New Jersey-based medical practice.
- Advised in connection with acquisition of multiple Minnesota-based assisted living and senior living facilities.
- Advised in connection with acquisition of New York-based diagnostic imaging practice.
- Advised in connection with acquisition of Nevada-based radiation oncology practice.
- Advised in connection with acquisition of multi-state healthcare transportation network platform.
- Advised in connection with ambulatory surgery center joint venture transactions.
- Advised in connection with Louisiana-based managed care organization.
- Provided regulatory advice to provider in support of establishing innovative payment and service-delivery arrangements with insurers and HMOs across the country.
- Advises providers in connection with government program reimbursement rules and audits, including advice in connection with disputing overpayment allegations.
- Experience advising on health-regulatory issues, including federal Stark Law, Anti-Kickback Statute, and Anti-Markup Rule, as well as state equivalents.
- Negotiates clinical trial agreements and related documents on behalf of a number of clients in the pharmaceutical and medical device industry.
- Developed collaboration agreements in support of multi-state provider incorporating nurse practitioners into practice model.
- Negotiated agreements and advised on privacy-related issues (including HIPAA) for client bringing platform to market for sharing medical records between healthcare providers.
- Regularly researches and advises on licensing issues for clients across various segments of the health care industry.
- Advised regarding regulations and guidance restricting the storage, maintenance of data, or performance of services outside the United States in connection with government healthcare programs.
- Advised on applicability of prescription drug monitoring programs.
- Advises nonprofits, including tax-exempt public charities and private foundations with diverse charitable aims, in initial formation, achieving tax-exempt status, establishing innovative charitable models (including ownership of subsidiaries and use of program related investments), and other general ongoing support.
- Advised tax-exempt clients in establishment and regulation of donor advised funds.
- Advised organization in obtaining group exemption and in establishing network of affiliated Montessori schools.
News & Resources
Industries & Practices
- Healthcare Transactions & Regulations
- Non-Profit & Tax Exempt Organizations