Alex provides expertise and support in two areas: the health care industry and tax exemption.
In the health care industry, Alex has experience with providers, payors, and drug and medical device clients, advising on state and federal regulatory issues (including Stark, Anti-Kickback, and HIPAA), drafting and negotiating agreements, and supporting corporate transactions.
In tax exemption, Alex regularly supports organizations in initial formation and applying for tax-exempt status and also provides ongoing advice in understanding IRS regulations and general operational issues.
- Negotiates clinical trial agreements and related documents on behalf of a number of clients in the pharmaceutical and medical device industry.
- Developed collaboration agreements in support of multi-state provider incorporating nurse practitioners into practice model.
- Advised health system in connection with acquisition of a previously jointly owned health insurer.
- Advised in connection with acquisitions of multiple California-based independent practice associations.
- Advised in connection with acquisition of New Jersey-based medical practice.
- Advised in connection with acquisition of multiple Minnesota-based assisted living and senior living facilities.
- Advised in connection with acquisition of New York-based diagnostic imaging practice.
- Advised in connection with acquisition of Nevada-based radiation oncology practice.
- Advised in connection with acquisition of multi-state healthcare transportation network platform.
- Advised in connection with ambulatory surgery center joint venture transactions.
- Advised in connection with Louisiana-based managed care organization.
- Provided regulatory advice to provider in support of establishing innovative payment and service-delivery arrangements with insurers and HMOs across the country.
- Advises providers in connection with government program reimbursement rules and audits, including advice in connection with disputing overpayment allegations.
- Negotiated agreements and advised on privacy-related issues (including HIPAA) for client bringing platform to market for sharing medical records between healthcare providers.
- Regularly researches and advises on licensing issues for clients across various segments of the health care industry.
- Advised regarding regulations and guidance restricting the storage, maintenance of data, or performance of services outside the United States in connection with government healthcare programs.
- Advised on applicability of prescription drug monitoring programs.
- Advises nonprofits, including tax-exempt public charities and private foundations with diverse charitable aims, in initial formation, achieving tax-exempt status, establishing innovative charitable models (including ownership of subsidiaries and use of program related investments), and other general ongoing support.
- Advised tax-exempt clients in establishment and regulation of donor advised funds.
- Advised organization in obtaining group exemption and in establishing network of affiliated Montessori schools.
News & Resources
Industries & Practices
- Health Transactions & Regulations
- Non-Profit & Tax Exempt Organizations