Phil is an associate in Dorsey’s Regulatory Affairs Group who focuses on serving energy clients in their regulatory matters and providing clients of all kinds with environmental and other regulatory compliance and due diligence services. Phil has significant experience helping companies plan and protect investments in generation, transmission, and distribution capabilities, while complying with energy and environmental regulations. He provides client advocacy services before both state public utilities commissions and the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission. Phil has experience in the following kinds of cases:
- Resource planning;
- Rate recovery;
- Open Access Transmission Tariff protest;
- Net metering and distributed generation;
- Qualifying facility certification;
- Interconnection agreements;
- Facility decommissioning;
- Service area disputes;
- Pipeline certification;
- Pipeline jurisdiction and market power;
- Pipeline tariff filing and cancellation.
Phil also helps clients evaluate and allocate risk in transactions by performing both regulatory and environmental due diligence.
In addition to energy regulatory and business matters, Phil practices in the following areas:
- Environmental counseling and compliance
- Government Data Practices
- Chemical registration and labeling
- Pesticide and biotechnology registration and labeling
- Campaign finance law and disclosures
- Affordable housing redevelopment
Phil clerked for a major investor-owned utility (IOU) in Minnesota, which provided him with valuable insight into the client side of legal and regulatory matters. He also clerked for the Honorable Diana E. Murphy at the United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit. During law school, and served as an extern for the Honorable Michael J. Davis, Chief Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Minnesota.
Before entering law school, Phil served as the executive director of a Minnesota non-profit organization focusing on international conflict. He then served two years as the deputy director of preservation for a renowned library that digitizes rare manuscript collections belonging to communities in Syria, Iraq, Lebanon, Turkey, India, and Ukraine.
Education & Admissions
University of St. Thomas School of Law (J.D., 2013), magna cum laude; Dean’s Awards (highest grade in class): Energy Law, Criminal Law, Economic Methods for Legal Analysis, Client Interviewing and Counseling, and Foundations of Justice.
St. John's University (Minnesota) (B.A., Theology, 1997)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit, Honorable Diana E. Murphy, 2013-2014
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
Industries & Practices
- Clean Technology
- Construction Litigation
- Food, Beverage & Agribusiness
- Mining & Natural Resources