SCOTT HELPS CLIENTS REALIZE THEIR PATENT, TRADEMARK, TRADE SECRET AND COMPLEX COMMERCIAL LITIGATION GOALS THROUGH SOUND LEGAL ADVICE AND STRATEGY.
Scott has been helping his clients achieve favorable litigation results for over 15 years. Clients appreciate his pragmatic approach to litigation, which focuses on utilizing the most appropriate tools for obtaining the best possible result. Scott is truly well versed in a variety of complex litigation disciplines with experience in cases involving intellectual property, complex business disputes, employment, and oil and gas.
Education & Admissions
University of Denver College of Law (2000), Order of St. Ives; General Editor, Denver University Law Review
Colorado State University (B.S., Business, 1995)
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- Federal Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado, Honorable Wiley Y. Daniel, 2000-2000
- Fiber Optic Designs, Inc. v. Seasonal Specialties, LLC - Obtained Federal Circuit Court of Appeals reversal of trial court's erroneous claim construction of client's patent.
- Virtual Cloud, Inc. v. CH2M HILL, Inc. - Represented client in complex litigation involving trade secret claims. Successfully opposed preliminary injunction after three-day hearing.
- Water Pik, Inc. v. Med-Systems, Inc. - Obtained summary judgment of non-infringement for Water Pik, Inc. in trademark and trade dress dispute concerning new product introduced into market by Water Pik, Inc. Water Pik, Inc. v. Med-Systems, Inc., 848 F.Supp.2d 1262 (D.Colo. 2012). Successfully defended summary judgment on appeal to Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals. Water Pik, Inc. v. Med-Systems, Inc., 726 F.3d 1136 (10th Cir. 2013).
- Alpine Access, Inc. v. IntraNext Systems, Inc. - Prevailed after five-day arbitration on client’s claims of theft of trade secret and breach of contract concerning software functionality copied by client’s former independent contractor. Obtained injunction preventing further use or disclosure of misappropriated software functionality.
- Jacobs Ranch Coal Company v. Thunder Basin Coal Company, LLC - Successfully obtained summary judgment in dispute concerning payment of royalties from coal mining. Summary judgment was affirmed by the Wyoming Supreme Court. Jacobs Ranch Coal Company v. Thunder Basin Coal Company, LLC, 191 P.3d 125 (Wyo. 2008).
- BP International Rights Holdings, Inc. v. Boston Gourmet Coffeehouse, Inc. - Enforced nation-wide restaurant chain's trademark rights against alleged infringer in Florida.
- TFH Publications, Inc. v. Aspen Pet Products, Inc. - Successfully opposed motion for preliminary injunction seeking a nation-wide product recall based on alleged Lanham Act violations.
News & Resources
- "GMOs & The Law," A Seed Library Session, Bud Werner Memorial Library
Industries & Practices
- Commercial Litigation
- Food & Agribusiness
- Health Care
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Mining & Natural Resources