John is a Partner in the Finance and Restructuring Department and the Energy Practice Group.
Project Development and Finance. John’s practice focuses on representing project sponsors and utilities in the development, construction, financing, acquisition, disposition and restructuring of electric generation facilities (wind, solar biomass, gas and other), mines and other infrastructure facilities involving the negotiation of development agreements, purchase and sale agreements, construction and equipment supply contracts, power purchase agreements and plant operation and maintenance agreements.
Commercial Finance. John also represents borrowers and lenders in connection with revolving loan facilities, term loan facilities, acquisition financings, leveraged lending, asset-based financings, equipment leases and letters of credit.
Energy and Project Finance
- Represented an investor in connection with the project financing of a 40 MW utility scale solar project, including a purchase option
- Represented Northwestern Energy in the acquisition of the 80 MW Beethoven Wind Project
- Represented Xcel Energy in the acquisition of 150 MW and 200 MW wind energy projects pursuant to build-to-transfer purchase and sale agreements
- Represented a solar portfolio company in connection with the acquisition of various solar projects
- Represented municipal power utility in negotiation of wind power purchase agreement
- Represented various wind energy developers in connection with general development issues and power purchase agreements
- Represented potential purchaser in due diligence in connection with the potential acquisition of a wind farm
- Represented underwriter in connection with financing of transmission line
- Represented a sponsor in connection with a $300 million barge financing
- Counsel to IPP in connection with acquisition of 2,000 MW of fossil-fuel power plants
- Previously led development teams responsible for the successful development of over 300 MW of wind energy projects and a 229 mile 345 kV independent transmission line.
Letters of Credit
- Advise issuer, applicants and beneficiaries in connection with various letter of credit transactions
- Represented U.S. Bank National Association in connection with multi-currency revolving credit facility to Polaris Industries, Inc.
- Represented SUPERVALU INC. in restructuring $2.5 Billion bank credit facilities
- Represented U.S. Bank National Association in connection with revolving credit facility to McGladrey, LLP
- Represented captive leasing company in connection with numerous equipment leases and the preparation of various form agreements
- Represent various lessors and lessees in equipment finance transactions
- Represented municipal issuer in establishment of $150 million commercial paper line
- Represented sovereign borrower in connection with $600 million liquidity line of credit
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
- “Acquisitions of Renewable Energy Projects,” Seventh Annual Conference on Legal and Business Developments for Renewable Energy in the Midwest, October 9, 2015
- “Equipment Leasing Update,” Minnesota State Bar Association, UCC and Commercial Finance Committee, December 2, 2014
- “E-Sign or Not E-Sign – Developments and Concerns in Electronic Signatures,” Banking Roundtable, November 19, 2014
- “How to Negotiate Biomass Power Purchase Agreements,” EUCI Webinar, February 9, 2010
- “Development of Wind Energy Projects,” presented at Law Seminar International's Developing Tribal Utilities, October 20 – 21, 2004
Industries & Practices
- Banking and Financial Institutions
- Electric Power
- Lending Transactions
- Mining & Natural Resources
- Oil & Gas
- Project Development & Finance