SMART, CREATIVE, AND EXPERIENCED IN THE COURTROOM—KIRK BRINGS THESE TRAITS TO EVERY CASE TO ACHIEVE MAXIMUM RESULTS FOR HIS CLIENTS.
Kirk practices with the Trial Group in Des Moines. He joined Dorsey in 2015 after serving as an Assistant United States Attorney in the Districts of the Northern Mariana Islands and the Central District of Illinois. As a former federal prosecutor, Kirk brings significant trial experience and advocacy skills to benefit Dorsey’s clients involved in all types of civil and criminal litigation and government investigations.
Education & Admissions
Drake University Law School (J.D., 2006), High Honors with Certificates in Litigation/Dispute Resolution and Legislative Practice; Law Review; Moot Court; and Student Bar Association
Drake University (B.A., 2003), magna cum laude, Academic All-American (Men’s Tennis)
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Iowa
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Iowa
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the District of the Northern Mariana Islands
- U.S. District Court for the District of Guam
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Iowa, Chief Judge Mark W. Bennett, 2007-2008
- Iowa Supreme Court, Honorable Mark S. Cady, 2006-2007
- Business Disputes, including commercial litigation of a wide-range of business disputes involving claims of breach of contract, misrepresentation, fraud and much more.
- Noncompete Enforcement, including cease and desist letters and an injunction to prevent client’s former employee from working for its competitor.
- Employment Discrimination Litigation, including complete summary judgment in favor of an employer for defense of FLMA and Iowa worker compensation claims.
- Trust and Estate Litigation, including litigation and favorable settlement of a dispute between beneficiaries of an estate and trust involving claims of legal malpractice and breach of fiduciary duties against the trustee, executors, and their attorneys.
- Elder Abuse Litigation, involving the prosecution of claims for violating the rights of elder Iowans under Iowa Code Chapter 235F.
- Landlord-Tenant Disputes, including the settlement and resolution of tenant’s hunting rights on rented land.
- Creditors Rights/Collection, including the collection of debts and foreclosure of real estate.
- Insurance Interpleader, including litigation between putative beneficiaries to life insurance proceeds.
- Products Liability Litigation, including the complete dismissal of a products liability action in favor of client.
- Proposition 65 Litigation & Compliance, including the defense and settlement of “bounty hunter” claims favorable to a manufacturer and distributor of products into California, and crafting company compliance programs to conform to Proposition 65 regulations.
- Trademark Infringement, including the crafting of a permanent injunction related to trademark rights favorable to client.
- Shareholder Disputes, including the dismissal of a shareholder derivative rights action.
- Public Records Requests, including the demand for documents on behalf of clients under various state sunshine laws.
- PREA Investigations & Defense, including the defense of an employee facing allegations of Prison Rape Elimination Act violations under Iowa law.
- Criminal Law, including dismissal and expungement of criminal assault charges in Iowa state court, and CJA appointments representing indigent defendants in federal court.
- Government Investigations/White Collar, including representation of qui tam plaintiffs and defense of companies accused of false claims and antitrust violations, coordinating internal investigations, and counseling clients in responding to civil investigative demands and civil and criminal subpoenas.
- Alternative Dispute Resolution, including international and domestic arbitrations before the American Arbitration Association and its international division, the International Centre for Dispute Resolution.
- Trial & Appellate Experience involving the prosecution of myriad cases to resolution in federal and state courts, including over ten federal jury and bench trials as lead counsel before U.S. District Courts in Iowa, Illinois, and the Northern Mariana Islands, as well as several appeals in the U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Seventh, Eighth, and Ninth Circuits.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
Events & Speaking Engagements
- “Keeping Your Organization Calm, Cool, And Collected When The Government Brings the Heat: How To Effectively Manage Government Enforcement Efforts,” Association of Corporate Counsel – Iowa Chapter, Fall Symposium, Elm Crest Country Club in Cedar Rapids, October 6, 2017.
- “Best Practices: Records Retention & Preparing for Litigation,” Association of Corporate Counsel – Iowa Chapter, Fall Symposium, Elm Crest Country Club in Cedar Rapids, November 11, 2016
- “Avoiding Litigation Pitfalls in P3 Projects: Understand What to Include in P3 Contracts to Mitigate Litigation Risks,” Dorsey’s Annual Symposium, Des Moines Botanical Gardens, October 27, 2016
- "What to do when your company is served with a federal subpoena," Association of Corporate Counsel – Iowa Chapter, CLE Luncheon, August 20, 2015
Industries & Practices
- Commercial Litigation
- Food, Beverage & Agribusiness
- Products Liability
- Trusts & Estates Litigation
Professional & Civic
- Co-Editor of FCA Now, Dorsey & Whitney’s False Claims Act blog.
- Co-Founder and Director of icare, a 501(c)(3) Iowa Non-Profit.
- Member, Board of Directors for Courage League Sports, a 501(c)(3) Iowa Non-Profit.
- Member, Board of Directors for Seeds of Faith Early Learning Center in Clive, Iowa.
- President, Bulldog Tennis Booster Club.
- President, Dallas County Bar Association.
- Member, Polk County Bar Association.
- Member, Iowa State Bar Association.
- “Spotlight on Service” Honoree, The Iowa Lawyer magazine, November 2017.