Sativa’s practice involves advising clients on corporate transactions including entity formation, startup funding (debt and equity issuances), general contractual and governance matters, secured debt facilities, internal restructurings/rollups and mergers and acquisitions.
Sativa practice focuses on counseling businesses on a wide range of corporate and regulatory needs. She has extensive experience tracking and navigating the complex and constantly evolving matrix of federal, state and local regulations related to both marijuana and hemp, and frequently speaks on these topics both domestically and internationally.
She regularly assists cannabis businesses at every level of the supply chain identify, understand, and comply with applicable regulatory requirements related to the cultivation, processing, manufacturing, and distribution of cannabis. This includes analyzing risks associated with transporting hemp and its derivatives interstate and internationally, understanding best practices for the manufacture, labeling, and distribution of hemp products, and counseling clients on the developing policies and regulations of the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) and Federal Trade Commission (FTC).
Sativa serves as the Chair-Elect for the Cannabis Law Section of the Washington State Bar Association, which she founded in 2016.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
Events & Speaking Engagements
- New CFIUS Rules Could Have More Effect on Transportation Industry (September 24, 2019)
- The Business of Marijuana in Washington State (11/29/18)
- 4th-6th Annual Northwest Marijuana Law Conference (2016-Present)
- Hemp-Derived CBD in Washington State and Across the Country (6/19/19)
- Intellectual Property (IP) for the Non-IP Specialist (IP Issues Facing the Cannabis Industry) (9/11/19)
- Introduction to Transportation Law—Transportation of Hemp Across State Lines (7/9/19)
- US Border After Cannabis Legalization in Canada (11/20/18)
Industries & Practices
- Capital Markets
- Corporate Governance & Compliance
- Emerging Companies
- Food, Beverage & Agribusiness
- Mergers & Acquisitions
Professional & Civic
- Lane Powell PC, Associate (2018-2020)
- Ashby Law Group PLLC, Associate (2015-2018)
- Seattle Sounders FC, Legal Extern (2016)
- Washington State University Student Legal Services, Intern (2010-2012)
- Leadership Counsel on Legal Diversity—2019 Pathfinder
- Washington State Bar Association Cannabis Law Section—Founder and Chair-Elect
- Leadership Counsel on Legal Diversity—Mentor (2019-Present)
- Annual Northwest Marijuana Law Conference--Chair (2016-Present)