Mark is a partner in the firm’s Tax, Trusts & Estates Practice Group based in California and splitting time between Dorsey’s Palo Alto and Southern California offices. Mark has maintained a sharp focus on helping create family legacies in his more than 20 years of assisting high-net worth clients as an estate planner. He implements plans that encourage family members to recognize their good fortune, make their own contributions to the family and their communities, and handle the responsibilities of wealth – all while incorporating powerful tax planning strategies for the benefit of the estate.
A key to Mark’s counsel is his recognition that family dynamics change over time. Informing succeeding generations of the values of the family enterprise, involving leadership from the next generation, recognizing the different motivations of branches of the family tree – all of these are elements that shape family philanthropy over the course of years. Legacy plans include mechanisms that address all of these variables, encouraging different generations to engage with each other in managing the family’s total capital. Mark works with high-net worth families to not only create a structure of family governance, but to mold a legacy that will have a meaningful impact for generations to come.
Mark is also a Fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel and a 21/64 Certified Advisor.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
Industries & Practices
- Banking & Financial Institutions
- Dorsey & Whitney Trust Company
- Non-Profit & Tax Exempt Organizations
- Tax Controversy & Litigation
- Trusts & Estates
- Trusts & Estates Litigation
Professional & Civic
- Professional Fiduciary Association of California
- California Society of CPAs
- Orange County Bar Association
- Orange County Estate Planning Council
- Orange County Bar Association Mandatory Fee Arbitration Committee
- Adjunct Professor of Law, Chapman Law School (LL.M. Program in Taxation)
- Board Member, Laguna Beach High School Scholarship Foundation
- Board Member, Financial Empowerment & Estate Literacy