ANGELA SERVES ON TEAMS THAT HELP CLIENTS PROSECUTE AND DEFEND COMPLEX COMMERCIAL DISPUTES.
Angela Porter is an associate and a commercial litigator before federal and state courts. Her primary areas of focus include Health Litigation, Antitrust Litigation, Defamation Law, Class Action Litigation, Data Privacy, and Insurance Law.
Angela also provides pro bono legal services to low-income tenants, asylees, and local non-profit organizations.
Education & Admissions
Howard University School of Law (J.D., 2013), magna cum laude; Editor-in-Chief, Howard Law Journal, 2013-2014
Howard University (B.A., 2010), summa cum laude; Annenberg Honors Program
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota, Chief Judge Michael J. Davis, 2013-2014
Recent and Ongoing Work
Clients appreciate the trial court experience Angela has developed during her time at our firm and while supporting federal trial court judges. Among other things, she has served as part of the team working on the following matters:
- Counsel for defendant clinic in jury trial in federal court on claims by private citizen alleging medical malpractice; judgment as a matter of law for defendant.
- Federal actions defending against medical malpractice claims.
- A federal action defending against ERISA claims asserted by bariatric surgery providers and an associated state action asserting fraud counterclaims.
- A federal action asserting counterclaims under the corporate practice of medicine doctrine.
- An corporate internal investigation ensuring compliance with corporate practice of medicine doctrine in different states.
- Counsel for defendants news station and newspaper in action by private citizen alleging claims of defamation; jury verdict for defendants on all claims.
Cybersecurity & Data Privacy
- Development of advice and practical materials regarding lessons companies can learn from recent large-scale U.S. data breaches through an assessment and analysis of data breach notification requirements, FTC cybersecurity guidance, information governance, preventative, and recent case law involving data privacy.
- Participation as a member of Dorsey’s cybersecurity team in assisting the Sedona Conference Working Group by providing an assessment of recent data breach class action litigation.
Other Representative Cases
- Defense against a putative class action lawsuit alleging claims against a national bank under Section 1 of the Sherman Antitrust Act.
- Defense against several putative class actions alleging various claims against a national bank concerning insurance provisions of mortgage agreements.
- A shareholder derivative action with certain shareholders alleging misconduct by a corporation’s board of directors in connection with a merger.
- A Freedom of Information Act case and a related request for attorneys’ fees.
- A trusts and estates matter involving a dispute over documents protected by attorney-client privilege.
- An asylum action representing a young man seeking asylum after he and his family were threatened by members of a militant group.
- A housing court case seeking expungement of eviction records.
- Advising a charitable and educational nonprofit organization seeking 501(c)(3) status.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
Events & Speaking Engagements
Industries & Practices
- Class Action Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Construction Litigation
- Cybersecurity, Privacy & Social Media
- Health Care
- Health Litigation
- Insurance Law
- LegalMine Document Review Solutions