For over 25 years, Steve has counseled debtors and creditors in bankruptcy, business reorganizations, assignments for benefit of creditors ("ABCs"), out-of-court workouts and creditor and debtor's rights. He has guided businesses of all sizes and stages of development through the bankruptcy and restructuring process in a wide variety of industries, including energy, technology, transportation, medical devices, clean tech and food. Steve’s practice is concentrated in California with an emphasis in the Silicon Valley.
Steve is a partner in Dorsey’s Finance and Restructuring Group and heads the Palo Alto office.
Recent Chapter 11 Cases:
- Atoptech, Inc. – Debtor's counsel
- ClearEdge Power, Inc. – Debtor’s counsel
- Technology Properties Limited counsel for the Official Unsecured Creditors’ Committee
- RDIO – Buyer’s counsel
- PopExpert – Buyer’s counsel
- Impeva Labs, Inc. – Debtor's counsel
- Tvia, Inc. – Debtor's counsel
- Three Way, Inc. – counsel for the Official Unsecured Creditors’ Committee
- Energy and Power Systems, Inc. – Counsel for secured creditor
- During the last five years have represented Assignees in over fifty separate ABCs in connection with sale of assets of "hightech" companies and wind down of their affairs.
- During the last five years have represented over fifty "hightech" companies in "out-of-court workouts" which resulted in the sale of their assets, settlement with their creditors and wind down of their affairs.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
- Panelist, "Alternatives to Chapter 11," Turnaround Management Association Western Regional Conference, July 2017
- Moderator, “Disruption in Silicon Valley” Turnaround Management Association – Western Regional Conference July, 2016
- Panelist, “What Every Officer and Director Should Know When the Company Is On the Brink,” Turnaround Management Association – Northern California Chapter, April 14, 2016
- Panelist, “When Good Things Go Bad: Dealing with Troubled Portfolio Companies,” Turnaround Management Association - Rocky Mountain Chapter, December 1, 2015
- Panelist, “Comparative Analysis of Receiverships, Bankruptcies and Assignment for the Benefit of Creditors,” California Receivers’ Forum – Loyola VI, January 23, 2015
- Speaker, “IP/Bankruptcy Strategies and Monetization: The Latest Games and Best Practices,” Bay Area Bankruptcy Forum, October 2014
- Assignments for the Benefit of Creditors: A Cheaper Alternative to Bankruptcy, June 19, 2013
Industries & Practices
- Banking and Financial Institutions
- Bankruptcy & Financial Restructuring
- Food, Beverage & Agribusiness
- Health Care
- Lending Transactions
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America©, 2018
- Listed as a Northern California Super Lawyer by San Francisco Magazine from 2006-2018
- Rated AV® by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Recognized by Global Law Experts as “Business Reorganization Law Firm of the Year in California – 2016”